SteveGo: Howdy from Texas

SteveGo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Richardson, TX
Howdy from Texas. I just found this site, and it has been very helpful. I live in a home with a 39 year old in-ground concrete pool. The pool is lined with a rough gray plaster, not exactly a pebble finish. It is in a wooded back yard, so it looks pretty good with the dark lining in that setting. (When the water is clean and clear, that is.)

It is kidney bean shaped and about 23000 gallons according to your pool math page. There is a 39 year old live oak tree overhanging the pool, and a screening wall at the property line on the deep end, made of bamboo. These are probably the filthiest and most troublesome species of plants anyone could put near a pool! Thank you previous owner :-?.

I do not have a pool cover, so the pool is a real mess by the time spring gets underway. Typically I just drain the pool, and wash it down with chlorine (10% liquid from Home Depot), rinse and refill at the beginning of the season. I have a sand filter. I know, I should get a pool cover. Maybe this year.

In spite of the annual clean out, I get algae, and cloudy greenish water. Even running the pump 12 hours a day, the water gets cloudy, and then I start to see green on the walls.

I saw your SLAM technique, and did as best I could to implement that which my current test kit.. ( Good test kit on order, but not in house yet.) Since the water is only about 1 month old, I assumed CYA was not a problem for now. I also started putting about a cup of DE media in the filter after each back wash. The great news is that this worked to clear up the pool from its green muckiness! So now, I am a convert.

I look forward to learning more here, and getting away from drudgery, recriminations, and depression ;)

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome Steve. Lots of Texans here in TFP. Curious, which test kit did you order? Aside from that, just keep current with the links below in my sig and around this site and you'll do fine. When you get your kit, post some test results and we'll give it a look. Hopefully we can make pool life a little easier for you. Enjoy!