Coping question

SoonerWing

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 27, 2015
Tuttle/Oklahoma
So I have been researching what the best stone is for pool coping and it appears that most are going with Travertine. However, I have read about a lot of people having problems with it flaking and pitting only a few years in which has me concerned. Apparently it is particularly a problem in Texas, and I am in Oklahoma which is much closer to Texas than I would like :crazy:

My only local options seem to be:
Travertine (from Mexico): Current Leader
Slate: Love the look but have read it is even worse than Travertine
Brick: Durable but I'm personally not a fan
Concrete: Durable but again, just not a fan as we really love the stone look.
Pavers: Maybe my "safest" option

I have read that Quartzite is denser and will last much longer but I would have to order this online. However, when I Google "Quartzite pool coping" it doesn’t pull much back which surprised me.

Just confused and looking for some thoughts or guidance. Will I be alright with Travertine if I seal it every year?

You've probably already seen this when you searched, but just in case.... Quartzite | National Pool Tile Group

We have the Travertine coping and will have a salt system. We will seal the coping. I was out sweeping it today - another story.... Anyway, all I could think was how much I love how it looks and how it feels. Sometimes it's just worth livin' on the wild side!

I also think the Quartzite is beautiful. I have a gorgeous picture of Quartzite on either a beach entry or sun shelf - can't remember. As with other things - I found Quartzite after I had Travertine. I've never touched the Quartzite, so I can't say how the feel compares to Travertine.

Will the look of pavers work with your pool design and house? Good luck! Suz.

You've probably already seen this when you searched, but just in case.... Quartzite | National Pool Tile Group

We have the Travertine coping and will have a salt system. We will seal the coping. I was out sweeping it today - another story.... Anyway, all I could think was how much I love how it looks and how it feels. Sometimes it's just worth a little livin' on the wild side!

I also think the Quartzite is beautiful. I have a gorgeous picture of Quartzite on either a beach entry or sun shelf - can't remember. As with other things - I found Quartzite after I had Travertine. I've never touched the Quartzite, so I can't say how the feel compares to Travertine.

Will the look of pavers work with your pool design and house? Good luck! Suz.

I think we really like the look of stone. Love the clean, rich look of Travertine just worried about the durability.

I,too, like the look and feel of Travertine. We like the Tiramisu color. But my pb keeps pushing flagstone ! I want the pool edge to be bullnosed. He says they always bullnose flagstone. Then I've read where flagstone flakes and chips. And when using it for the deck it'll be uneven, making chairs unstable. We do not have a SWP. Our pb also says to use travertine coping we'll have a lot more grout lines and that it won't look good . Another question about travertine coping. Should it be lighter or darker than the decking ?

Ours deck travertine is the same color as Coping.
Coping grout lines are typically very narrow for travertine to fall in with the lack of grout lines in the deck.
This is a factor of how good the tiler is in cutting too.

I saw a pool done by one of the builders I'm considering, and the coping and surrounding patio were quartzite. Absolutely gorgeous. (Apparently the owner wasn't trying to keep costs down like many of us.) The PB said it is the hardest stone, and his mason guys went through several blades because of all the cutting that's involved, adding to the price.

I'm not sure pricewise how quartzite and travertine compare, though.I think he said quartzite was more expensive. Maybe it depends on the supplier and your location.

Our present patio, we have arizona flagstone borders with pavers. The flagstone chips like crazy - we have it at our front doorstep as well, and just last week found a whole bunch of it flaked off in large pieces

I,too, like the look and feel of Travertine. We like the Tiramisu color. But my pb keeps pushing flagstone ! I want the pool edge to be bullnosed. He says they always bullnose flagstone. Then I've read where flagstone flakes and chips. And when using it for the deck it'll be uneven, making chairs unstable. We do not have a SWP. Our pb also says to use travertine coping we'll have a lot more grout lines and that it won't look good . Another question about travertine coping. Should it be lighter or darker than the decking ?

I'm no expert but I think the coloring is personal preference. We want a contrast between the coping and the decking and prefer to have a darker coping and a lighter decking in an effort to keep the deck cooler. Unfortunately we can't find a Travertine dark enough for our taste (yet anyway) so it looks like we are going to go darker on the colored concrete deck. I love the look of slate coping as I really like a lot of color an character in the coping but I have not been able to find that in Travertine or Quartzite yet. I too am scared to use flagstone, slate, sandstone, and limestone for fear of flaking. I'm scared of Travertine as well... just a little less... I think...

Magicruiser: It could be cost factors your PB is considering. I had a flagstone patio (no pool, did not seal it) for about 14 years. It faded, mildewed, and flaked. It was so beautiful when it was first in. We power washed and tried to remove the mildew. We probably didn't do the right things, and the flagstone may have been poor quality. Due to drainage and accessibility for all the work crews, it had to be removed. I was glad. It really left a bad feeling for me about flagstone, so I admit to being biased. And ours was uneven with the chairs, but I can't say that bothered us too much.

As far as colors for the coping and decking, that's definitely personal preference - style and function. As soon as PB's and landscapers saw my canes, they encouraged me to go with a contrast between coping and decking. I didn't see how my mobility issues would be helped with the contrast - my eyes are still workin'!!! LOL!!! But I guess as I get older and older (God willing), the contrast will get my attention better. I'm now getting Travertine decking in a shade darker than the coping. If I had started with a darker coping, I would have chosen a shade lighter for the deck.

Here's a couple of pictures of my coping around the pool and the bump-out bench. I can't say I even notice the grout lines when I'm outside looking at it. I guess I don't think about the grout lines - they're no different than the grout lines I have on tile flooring or in the shower. I guess I just expect it, so I don't notice it. All these decisions...... Good luck! Suz.

I don't have a great photo of the entire pool with grouted coping (there's too much glare). So this one shows the coping behind the sun shelf. If you look at the top right of the picture, you'll see the grout lines. For me, that would be the worst of it.

This is a photo of the Travertine on the bump-out bench. It shows the coping and then the Travertine on the seat of the bench. The grout lines definitely show, but I don't see the problem your PB is talking about. Sorry, but when it's blown up, it's blurry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@SuzfromTexas What are the multi color 'triangle' tiles that you have on the step? Is it something that I can purchase separately and ask my tile guy to lay it? I wonder where I can get these at a lower cost?

Welcome to TFP!! They are called Shell Beach made by * Lightstreams Glass Tile | Exquisite Glass Tile Manufactured in the USA Home Page. I have pictures of the samples I bought on my pool build thread - click on the link in my signature. Their website is fabulous. I'm not aware of any place to purchase them for less. If you have more questions, I can answer them on my thread. Take care! Suz.

Suz, thanks for the pictures ! First, I love your shell beach ! And your bump out bench is a great idea. You are so thoughtful for all the help you give us newbies ! I have read many of your comments and not only have I learned a lot but have been entertained with your great wit ! As a Texan, I'm sure you understand the frustration from all the rain !! They were suppose to dig Sat. But it didn't happen ! Now more rain is forecast for the next week !! So it's really helped my morale to read these posts !! I think your travertine coping is pretty ! And I'm perfectly fine with the grout lines. I am not going with flagstone. I just don't like it. And like you've said, "it's your pool " ! LOL

Slate and travertine are both types of flagstone with varying hardness levels. I love travertine and I would put it in if I could, but the bluestone flagstone I am going to use can withstand our freezing weather cycles.

Slate and travertine are both types of flagstone with varying hardness levels. I love travertine and I would put it in if I could, but the bluestone flagstone I am going to use can withstand our freezing weather cycles.

An Engineer and Geologist!

I've heard diametrically opposed opinions on travertine in freeze/thaw areas. Some claim it will be destroyed in a few seasons. Others claim they have installed thousands of feet using a dry cement/sand mix over concrete slab. Do you have any experience with travertine?

I also considered limestone. Local supply yard refuses to sell limestone pavers due to cracking as a result of freeze thaw cycle. Doesn't make sense, half of New York City is covered in limestone steps, coping, sills, bridge cladding, etc...

Confused in NYC

I've heard diametrically opposed opinions on travertine in freeze/thaw areas. Some claim it will be destroyed in a few seasons. Others claim they have installed thousands of feet using a dry cement/sand mix over concrete slab. Do you have any experience with travertine?

I also considered limestone. Local supply yard refuses to sell limestone pavers due to cracking as a result of freeze thaw cycle. Doesn't make sense, half of New York City is covered in limestone steps, coping, sills, bridge cladding, etc...

Confused in NYC

I am not a geologist, haha, bmore was just teasing. But I do know that travertine is very porous and water + freeze-thaw could be a bad combination, right? Marble and limestone are too soft. Granite is frequently used on public buildings around here. We do have slabs of sandstone slabs for our front steps. 54 years old later (house is older than me!), we have moderate erosion.

Iv built over 500 pools In my life and true cantilever coping is hard to beat if done right. The grout in the stone will crack the rocks will flake off eventually. Pour stamped and colored coping and have your builder every 5 feet around the pool run rebar out and then pour you deck and tie the two together can't beat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f3c79776d8e34937c10dcce9aa11353b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.