Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA drifting upward

1. Back To Top    #1

TA drifting upward

I had my TA down to 80ppm 2 weeks ago. I tested it today and it is 95ppm. What would cause it to rise?
    Test results are:
    FC - 3
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 95
    CH - 450
    CYA - 60
    TEMP - 60*
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TA drifting upward

The vagaries of the test may well allow it to shift that much. I wouldn't be concerned at this point.

Did your pH rise during the same period?

Actually, shouldn't it have tested either 90 or 100 with your K-2005?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My pH has risen slightly. I retested and the result is actually 80 ppm. I must have botched my first test.
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi meatloaf,

It sounds like your problem has been resolved, so I hope you don't mind me possibly "hijacking" for other people who might read the message.

My TA has also been rising over the past month or so, which had me really stumped since nothing other than bleach has been added during this time. I finally tracked it down to the fact that we've had very dry air and high evaporation rates during that time. I've lost almost 10% of my volume to evaporation in 4-6 weeks! My fill water has a TA of 130 ppm as compared to 70 ppm for my pool prior to this weather. Doing the math it turns out that the TA increase I'm seeing is very nearly accounted for by replacing the evaporation loss with fill water.

Again, this doesn't have much to do with you, but I thought someone else seeing a TA increase might run across this thread and benefit from hearing this, too. Hope you don't mind me horning in. I'll hush now.

Cheers, Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Hi, Gary,

I think your post is a good reminder to all of us to consider the parameters of fill water when a puzzling change occurs.

The desert Southwest is particularly affected because of the very high evaporation rates but fill water changes all of our pools........sometimes significantly.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School