Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: robot strangles itself

1. Back To Top    #1

robot strangles itself

I have a new Aquabot Pool Rover Plus from Costco. I generally like its performance although its weak when using the fine filter bag. The reason I selected this model was its reasonable price, for a robot, and it can't climb my steps or walls. This was important for me because if it gets into the bar stools, its all over.

Anyway, the cord seems to have a permanent twist. I have tried to twist it in the opposite direction but it seems to have a memory and just twists itself up in loops when its in the water. I have been storing the cord layed out straight but that doesn't seem to do any good.

After about 25 minutes, the twisting is so bad the robot isn't strong enough pull itself free and it get stuck in the same area of the pool.

Any ideas besides returning the unit for another?

thanks,

carlos31
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: robot strangles itself

the handle on the top of your aquabot should be locked in with a caddy corner orientation, top left to bottom right or top right to bottom left. This controls the direction it moves in around your pool. Every time you run your aquabot, you should reverse this orientation to avoid that problem. Try changing it and leaving it that way for a few sessions, then get into the habbit of switching it. Aquabot cords are pretty much the only part not covered under the warranty so that is what you really need to protect. Aquabots also tend to eat and cut their own cords when they get severly twisted.
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA