New design renderings; Thoughts?

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Two simalar designs out of about 2+months of endless internet research.

I the first had steps up to the spa an large planters in the rear which I felt took away from the curves of the pool and took away decking at the rear.

Second is a modified verstion, I moved the baja step to the left rear as that spot is in the sun from sunrise to sunset. My wife likes the steps up to the spa, perhaps steps on both sides? I sort of like how the spa is raised, with step the spa coping is the same level as the decking. Lastly, note the entry baja step and steps are at the left rear of the pool. What do you think about just leaving the 12" deep baja step there and moving entry steps near the house? Like in the big curve near the house? The depth will be 4 ft- 5.5 or 6 ft, still thinking on this. The deep side will be on the right near the spa.

Open to any other suggestions.

thanks!

Design #1
7E8CE461-2E6A-4AC0-96BC-46D0A06F64F2_zps53ydoufd.jpg

Design #2
FB11DCE2-25CC-42F5-B98D-298C737ADCDC_zpsrt1en6kj.jpg

I think they are both beautiful! I love the steps to the spa on the second one but love the shape of the pool in the first one. You really can't go wrong - they are both so nice.

Thanks, I like the shape of the first one, did not like not having access or decking at the rear with those big planters. I did like the water features, I may have to have modifily the first to have steps on both sides of the spa and perhaps still raise the spa 10-12" off the deck. I am also thinking of bring the pool closer to the house maybe 5 ft to give more decking at the rear.

3AADCE42-F17B-4269-A789-33FF7A6DFF4C_zpspudnlh4c.jpg

B03D2F02-06F0-4388-8ABA-2BE746A61D47_zpswyfid4iu.jpg

392A40E3-BBCB-4F74-9A35-4E61D8815AAD_zpsrpr4o5se.jpg

2F083C1C-9A2E-472B-8798-8AF108F5B6BF_zpsh6mwyrg1.jpg

I'm torn. I like the water features in #2, and it would look nicer from inside your house. I also like the steps going up to the spa. But I hear you on the access to the planters. I've wondered how to access the landscaping there, but I guess enough lawn/garden maintenance people are used to having to step carefully to try to trim the plants inside an arrangement like that. If you do go that route, I would make sure the plants are ones that do not drop any leaves or anything into the pool.

I don't remember if you have kids? Having the deck going all the way around reminds me of our pool in FL. I was a basket case when friends with kids came over and were running all around the pool, as I thought for sure one would trip and land on the patio or in the pool. I don't know if that's a concern.

If I had seen the first one by itself, I would have thought it was beautiful. And it is!

But I think the second one is jaw-dropping. The raised decking flowing into those magnificent planters just hits it all out of the park. That design blows me away! I'm very sincere.

I'm ripping out my gunite and starting all over. Wow! Suz.

No kids, and my friends and family with kids will follow the rules or not be invited back.

Also I did not mention we have a slope back there that's about a 20 ft drop to two houses below. I love the water features but don't like not having decking back there to sit on. There will be a small planter on the perimeter of the back yard. 32" tall x 3ft deep.

decisions! I wish it was completed now but also glad we are taking our time to really get it right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at the pool only, not decking, water features, etc. I like #2 better. I think of the main entrance to the pool to be the steps and baja shelf. I prefer that part to be near the seating, and I feel like in #1, the entrance is on the wrong side of the pool. I would feel like I would constantly be walking around the pool to get in.

As for moving the pool closer to the house, I think I might leave it further away. The far side of the space is mostly unusable space. Leave a walkway wide enough that someone can sit with their arms behind them at the edge of the pool with feet dangling in the water, and still have enough room for someone to walk behind them easily. I look at the space behind the pool like this. If you add 3 more feet, what do you gain? Its not like that is going to allow you to add chairs, and 3 feet is nto really enough space to add much landscaping features. But, if you shrink the main seating area by 3 feet, you will notice that, as it will fit fewer chairs, etc.

Great suggestions by all!

On the first photo (no water features) we plan to make the baja step larger and remove the steps, so it will be 12" deep on the step and then drop to 4ft. We would move the steps (3) near the house like in the second design. This must have got lost in communication.

The reason for the baja step in the rear left side is that's full sun all day, moving the baja step anywhere else limits the sun exposure. I wish I had software myself, it would be soooooo much easier to change stuff around to see what it looks like.

Good point on the 3ft at the rear, that's why I ask here, many have been there, done that!

Will need to figure out cost, I am sure all that stacked stone planters, steps, and water features is going to add thousands to the bid.

So with that 20' drop behind you, you are not needing the planters to provide privacy I imagine.
I still like the aesthetic of the curved planters all the same.
Maybe deleting the middle water feature and having a 12" bench would give you the seating you desire.
Unless you really want a walkway behind the pool, it does not give you much more due to it's depth.
I am already finding people will sit of those benches as opposed to sit on the edge of pool 9 times out of 10.
Might be the 95+ deg days that make that happen.

The slope would not be good for an infinty edge, as you still see the tops of other houses behind us. I will need to put in a taller fence but it not like a view of the ocean. Forgive the dying grass, with the water issues here in ca and the pool goin in why waste water. I also need to get my neighbor below me to allow me to remove that shrub/ tree at the top of the slope, I already paid to have his 80ft tall eucalyptus trees removed and the 40 ft corral tree that was in my yard, $2500 just to get ready for the pool, lol.

AA113F53-9F4A-4DCB-B192-6FC73F561D1E_zpsyj1jbbuu.jpg

E24959BC-0513-463E-B1F4-C0884B10DBA2_zpsyfrnhpeo.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.