SLAM Pool at this point?

I read another thread that the pool should be SLAMed after a full drain.

I did a full drain in April under that advice of the pool store due to high calcium hardness. At that point, I didn't know of this forum so I filled the pool with the chemicals they recommended me: Instant Pool Conditioner, Scale Free, PhosFree, Muratic Acid, Powder Plus and Pucks (which I no longer use other than Liquid Chlorine)...

Found this forum last month and switched to The TFPC method.

However, I've never SLAMed my pool after the water change. Only "shocked" the pool 2 or 3 times using Powder Plus prior to finding this forum.

My CC is almost always at 0 and never exceeded 0.5 and water looks super clear. So clear that you cannot see the water on a calm night.

Since last month, after finding this site, I've been keeping it balanced as so:

FC 5-7
CC 0-0.5
pH 7.5 - 7.8
CYA 50
CH 280
TA 100

So, at this point, should I still SLAM my pool? I lose about 1 ppm of FC daily with the solar cover on.

Thanks!

We never "shock" our pools for no reason.
The SLAM process is used only if there is a problem ... and from what you wrote, sure does not sound like you have a problem :goodjob:

You can always do the OCLT to see if there is anything in the water consuming your FC that would warrant the SLAM process.

Since you are already only losing 1 ppm daily, the OCLT is a moot point. There is no need to SLAM the pool. You already meet the three criteria that ends the SLAM.

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Very nice work in managing your pool. You likely will not need to SLAM or "shock" the entire swim season.

Thanks jblizzle & duraleigh! I guess I'm fine then :)

Also want to comment on how well this TFPC method is working for me.

Water is much clearer after switching to this method.
In addition, I have sensitive skin, when I swam in the pool with the many chemicals that the pool store recommended, I had irritation on the skin (same when I swim in other pools). Now, after switching to the TFPC method and swimming in the pool a few times, I've never gotten any skin irritation (even with a FC level of 7, which would probably freak out the pool store people).

This a a great community and thank you for all the help from the members and moderators! I've joined forums of all types in the past, and by far, this is the most informational!

Welcome! :wave:

Looks like you timed things just right. No way you'd be able to drain and refill now.

Pretty good racket the pool store has, isn't it? Load your pool up with snakeoils, drive CYA through the roof with pucks, raise the already high CH with CAl-hypo shock powder, and then tell you to drain it and start all over! That prominent national chain should rebrand themselves as BOHICA pool supply.

Haha that's right Richard320, perhaps Pool Stores are one of the causes for the drought here in California :confused:.

I felt so bad about draining the pool amidst the drought. Now reading the threads here, I almost feel that I didn't need to drain it.
I checked with my water district a few times before doing the drain and they were so easy going with it. My bill only went up $60 to fill the pool back up, I have a feeling that water districts are not doing enough to promote water conservation. But they're not to blame...I'm the one who used up 18K gallons of water...

Welcome! :wave:

Looks like you timed things just right. No way you'd be able to drain and refill now.

Pretty good racket the pool store has, isn't it? Load your pool up with snakeoils, drive CYA through the roof with pucks, raise the already high CH with CAl-hypo shock powder, and then tell you to drain it and start all over! That prominent national chain should rebrand themselves as BOHICA pool supply.

Ok, I have to ask, what does BOHICA stand for? You can PM me if it isn't suitable for public display...lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.