Awesome Ribs

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
OK I finally did pork ribs a couple of weeks ago...spare ribs using the basic recipe that comes with the Big Green Egg, but with some help from the folks at "Porknography," aka amazingribs.com . I'm not a 'purist' (yet), but I have to assume that the folks at amazingribs.com are...if anyone agrees (or disagrees) let me know what you think.
Anyway, the ribs were AWESOME! I really want to try it all now...brisket, shoulder, pulled pork, etc., etc.
It seemed like it took forever, but I had John Henry rub on the ribs overnight, then smoked 'em low & slow with mesquite chips for a couple hours, brushing honey on them, then finally placed them on a med.-high grill and basted bbq sauce for a few minutes to finish it off.
Add maple syrup & honey mixed with butter to go on the rolls, and some slaw, and OH MY GOODNESS, it was worth it.
So that's my first foray into ribs, I'm looking forward to some more.
yum!

Congrats!

The only problem now is that whenever you order ribs out at a restaurant you will be really disappointed in them!

Shoulder (pulled pork) is VERY easy with the BGE, almost foolproof as long as you can keep your temp stabilized for the long cook. I cook mine for about 16 to 20 hours at 250 degrees dome temp. It comes out tender and juicy. Cook extra and then freeze it in vacuum seal bags. Reheat by placing the bags in a pot of slow boiling water and the leftovers are as good as the freshly cooked.

If you haven't been there already, the BGE forum is a good place for tips and recipes. www.eggheadforum.com

These are done at a dome temp of 250. I use to do the 3-1-1 method but with much playing around have went strictly gone indirect with no foiling at all. Testing for "doneness" by lifting the slabs in the middle and if they bend downward quite a bit will acheive a consistency of meat that will pull cleanly away from the bone but not dry. I start testing once the meat has shrunk from the ends around 1/2 inch (can vary as short as 41/2 hours up to 6 hours). Normally I use some variation of John Henry's rub, these were Raspberry Chipolte, although our favorites are pecan and sugar maple. Apple chunks for smoke but I also like pecan and cherry. This time I used a sauce but I normally don't.
DSC01295.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too fired up the smoker over the holidays. I smoked two pork loins, and two racks of the meatiest St. Louis style ribs I've ever seen. The loins were awesome, and the ribs took 10 hours!!!

Needless to say we had the ribs the next day reheated in the oven, and they were awesome. I use the Memphis rub from amazingribs.com as I prefer a dry rib rub (Memphis style).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.