ionoizers

UV sanitizers, Ionizers and ozonators are all supplemental pieces of equipment that can help you but will not sanitize your pool on their own. I would suggest putting off the purchase of any of these units until you are familiar with operating your pool with chlorine alone.

Salt water chlorine generators and chlorinators both add chlorine to the water, which will probably be your sanitizer of choice (bromine and biguanide products are recognized and available, but I would highly advise against either for an outdoor pool).

The salt water systems are by far the best solution, in my opinion. They don't add calcium or stabilizer to the water, they don't require you to store buckets of chlorine, and they deliver a constant (and variable) amount of chlorine into the water.

Welcome to TFP!

Salt water systems are the best for most applications. Once setup they "just work" and they tend to have the best reviews.

UV and ozone systems are not suitable for use as your primary system. They do not provide any residual disinfection, water needs to pass through the UV/ozone unit to be disinfected. Because of that they are primarily used as add ons to some other system. In nearly all cases whatever other system you have as the primary system is sufficient, and there is no real value in adding on UV or ozone.

Chlorinators can work very well for some time, but most people usually end up having problems with high CYA levels. Chlorinators use trichlor pucks, which contain CYA. The chlorine gets used up, but the CYA accumulates. If you don't have substantial amounts of water replacement each season the CYA will eventually accumulate to problematic levels and cause problems.

The least expensive approach is to manually add liquid chlorine (bleach) each day. This is more work, but easy enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.