Adding DE to sand filter - couple questions

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I've read the process of adding DE, but have a couple questions:

1 - Mix 1/4 DE in bucket of water. How much water?

2 - Since this is the first time, it says that I might notice a high spike in PSI. I'm at 13 now and it should go to 14 PSI, then I stop adding DE. So, in 24 hours, it could climb higher. How high is too high? Do I backwash to bring it down?

3 - there is some dirt at the bottom fo the pool, water is clear. Should I vacuum before adding the DE?

thanks

I've read the process of adding DE, but have a couple questions:

1 - Mix 1/4 DE in bucket of water. How much water?
How big's your bucket? :mrgreen:

A few inches is fine. Keep it light enough that you can manage it easily so you don't end up slopping it somewhere you don't want it, like in the pool.
2 - Since this is the first time, it says that I might notice a high spike in PSI. I'm at 13 now and it should go to 14 PSI, then I stop adding DE. So, in 24 hours, it could climb higher. How high is too high? Do I backwash to bring it down?
In fifteen minutes it could climb higher if the water is cloudy. I wouldn't add it and then go to work. Do it when you're around to keep an eye on pressure and flow. You're at 13 now, so when you hit 16 or 17, it's time to backwash, same as normal.
3 - there is some dirt at the bottom fo the pool, water is clear. Should I vacuum before adding the DE?

thanks
Your call. Either way it gets trapped in the filter. I'd do it after adding DE, so any superfine stuff lying on the floor gets filtered out.

Ugh...so close. At close inspection, I'm calling the starting point 12.75PSI. I'm probably at 13.60PSI, so I'm going to let it go overnight. I added about 1.5 cups so far. I didn't want to vacuum the pool, because when I hook up the shark, sometimes it goes smoothly, other times I get air gaps, burps, belches, etc. and I didn't want to take any chances. So, I put the kids in the pool and the can kick up all the dirt. I have the skimming sock back on and I'll vacuum tomorrow.

Now, WTH do I do with the other 23+ pounds of DE I had to buy!

I'm in the same boat. I have a 20lb+ box sitting in the garage but every time I backwash I just go mix up a little and add it. Just need to keep it off the floor and closed so it stays dry.

I added the DE and the pool has been very good since. I did notice the PSI dropped, after I backwashed, right back down to 12.75 where I began. I'll probably add a litte more DE, but so far I'm not getting any more dust/dirt settling at the bottom of the pool. At some point, I'll performa a deep cleaning of the filter.

But for now, is there any reason for concern, or is it mission accomplished?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.