Starting Up New IG Pool - Trichlor Good Option for Chlorine and CYA?

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
Pool is Quartscape finish

I read somewhere that Trichlor tabs are a good option when starting-up a new pool due to the fact that they add CYA as well as chlorine. What do the experts think? I believe it's safe to start adding these tabs 72 hours after my pool is full and pump has been running 24/7.

Also, is there a better option here like adding bleach for the chlorine and strait pool conditioner to bring my CYA up?

You can start off with trichlor only, but until some CYA gets established the FC will burn off in sunlight very fast. Usually it is better to add some CYA stabilizer first, you can then use trichlor for a while if you want to, but if you do measure out a predetermined cut off point using pool math and stick to it. Many people do this blindly and then find they have overdosed on CYA.

@Isaac-1 - Thanks, and yes I would be concerned about overdoing it on the CYA. I also see your point that the Trichlor might add the CYA so slowly that the FC level never gets to the required level due to the hot Vegas sun burning it off.

Would a better approach be to at the 72 hr point of my "break-in" be to add a stabilizer (more than likely liquid) to get my CYA up and later that day add bleach for my FC?

No need to pay a lot extra for the liquid. Put the granules in a sock in your skimmer. Squeeze it a few times a day to speed the process. You can add bleach anytime you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.