Pool Leak - Losing 3" a week

Apr 7, 2008
This is my first post to this forum, although I used the info here extensively in researching my pool. We opened the pool on July 4th. We've been losing about about 3" per week. We have a cover. The builder has on many occasions claimed to have found and fixed the leak. Each time they "fix" it, they turn the auto fill back on right away, which is unbelievable to me. So I turn it back off and we notice the same level of water loss.

But last week finally gave up and said everything is fine and that 3" is normal after all. He said that is about what his pool loses. We have a cover. So now he wants his final payment. They've done a pressure test. He's checked the surface of the pool. What are my options? Do I get an independent inspection?

3" per week is possible from evaporation in very warm months. Where are you located?

You can always check the evaporation rate by leaving a bucket on the top step filled up to the water level of the pool, then watch the evaporation rate of both bodies of water. It's also a good idea to check your waste line to be sure that's not where the water is going.

I would hold that check until you get a better answer, at least from the evaporation test. Sounds fishy that he would have tried multiple times to fix a leak and then give up and call it normal.

There are leak detection companies like American Leak Detection that will find a leak for about $500 if it comes down to it. You'll feel better spending that money when you can still take it out of the builder's check rather than after the fact. :-D

Thanks for such a quick reply. I heard of the bucket test, but didn't think it was necessary before because the builder was acting as if the water loss was NOT normal - so it wasn't a question of whether there is a problem but, rather, finding out where the problem was.

The last payment was only 5% of the total cost, but the only leverage I have.

I'll try the bucket test and then follow-up with the American Leak Detection reference. Thanks!

Hi!
Can't you use the exlusion method.
I'm just speeking from the top of my head. I do not have any experience in this field.
First I would lower the water level below the skimmer and turn of the pump to see what happens. If the water still sinking I would lower it below the inflows next time. and continue so until it stops, hopefully you could circle in the leak that way.

75mm/week is that unnatural waste of water? I thought that was in the range on what could considers to be normal(even if it's sounds to be on the upper half) if you use the pool on a regular basis and the weather is hot. Assumptive the pool is normal size.
Kids in the pool with all jumping and splashing most waste a bit aswell I guess.

more good suggestions. thank you. I guess I'm having to move from a mode where I've been relying on their expertise in trouble shooting the issue to becoming more assertive in investigating this on my own - starting with the fundamental question of whether there is a problem or not. What has me confused is that they have been operating under the premise that it was a problem. But they ran out of things to try so they just changed the premise.

HI and welcome to TFP!!

In the Pool School section is an article on leak detection here. See if anything there can help you. If you still need help on the bucket test or whatever - please respond back and we'll all work together to get you the answer you need :)

Congrats on the pool :goodjob: , sorry it's loosing water :grrrr: - we can and will help!! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.