do you have one of the recommended test kits? TF-100 is the best value. if you just filled it, all you should need right now is some stabilizer to get it to 30ppm and liquid chlorine to get it to 2ppm right off the bat. and don't let it go below that. once you get the stabilizer dissolved, your chlorine will need to be raised. once you get the test kit, we can advise on other items that may be needed. biggest priority now is to get liquid chlorine/bleach in the pool.

click on the pool math section at the top of page and fill that in and it will tell you how much chemicals to add.

what chemicals did you buy? if from the pool store, most can be returned. list/post them here for input.

Hello and welcome! :wave: Glad to have you with us. If you haven’t done so already, take a moment to read some of our most common and vital links (below in my sig) to keep you ahead of the game with clear water. Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure you get one of the recommended test kits (i.e. TF-100 below) as well. An absolute “must” to obtain the proper chemical readings needed.

TFP is a relatively simple process of maintaining your pool with minimally invasive products – things you probably already have around your house already. TFP always encourages that you do your own testing via one of the TFP-recommended test kits (i.e. TF-100 link below) since accurate test readings serve as the foundation for everything you do from this point forward and the advice you receive on this site.

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

Also, if you haven’t done so already, please verify that all of your pool information is accurate and/or loaded in your “signature” which can be accessed in your TFP profile. That information is valuable to TFP readers as they try to assist you. If you have any more questions, just re-post to this thread or ask. TFP’ers are always eager to assist. Have a great swimming season!

I have no idea where to start,i have a 15ft round,42 inch deep new pool.i filled it and have all the chemicals but no clue on what to do with them
Welcome! :wave:

Okay, first thing you do is add some bleach so the water stays as clear as it is fresh from the tap. Guessing the pool is only filled about 3' deep which makes it 4000 gallons. so 1½ cups of plain 8.25% bleach will get that to 2 FC which is about as high as you want to go with no stabilizer in it.

Second, measure out 2¾ cups or weigh out 21 oz of Cyanuric acid stabilizer granules. Put them in a hole-less sock and tie it up and either set it in the skimmer or dangle it in front of the return stream of water in the pool.

Third, test your pH and plug your numbers into poolmath and raise or lower it to get it between 7.2 and 7.8 pH.

If you don't have a test kit, get one. Now. The pH sample will change with agitation and warming up on a car ride to the pool store, so it's useless. Plus pool stores are dangerous places. They'll empty your wallet in a big hurry selling you useless stuff.

Anyway, with the pH fixed and some bleach in the water, it's safe to swim. Tomorrow you'll need to recheck FC and pH and add more bleach and possibly fix pH again. By day three you'll probably have read enough here that you'll know that there's more, but this will get you started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.