Water return very weak

Jun 12, 2015
Erlanger
Hi Everyone,
I have a 24 x 52 above ground intex pool with an upgraded filter and pump. This filter/pump is 2 years old. The motor was frozen and I fixed that, but now my water return to the pool is very weak. Should I replace the sand? My intex filter is much stronger than the upgraded filter I have.

Welcome to TFP!

If the water return was fine before the motor got frozen and you noted the reduce flow after you unfroze the motor, I'm inclined to believe that the problem still lies with the motor or pump in that the RPM's are not turning at the rated speed. The sand would have no impact on that.

Welcome to TFP! Sorry to hear of your problems. Might help to get a few more things first to get good answers:
- Is the low water something that happened immediately after the pump (frozen) repair?
- How old is the sand in your unit? (2 years also?)
- Can you provide any more specific information about the pump and other equipment on your pool? (i.e. size, make, model)
- What does your pressure gauge show?

Also, I would recommend that you please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thanks. Just did my signature. My sand is 2 years old, this would be the 3rd year. I think my pump in an Aqua Flow 1 HP. The intex filter that came with the pool is actually more powerful than my upgraded pump and filter. My PSI is between 0 and 10. I remember last year, we couldn't even keep our hand near the inflow of water, this year not even close.