New pool build - all advice welcomed - Help !

Jun 12, 2015
alicante, spain
Hello, folks, first post here. I live in Spain and have a nice space in my garden where I wish to construct an above ground pool. The ground is about 6 inches of dirt with solid rock underneath so digging a pool in will just be too time consuming/expensive/messy.

So, I'm totally new to the idea of pool construction and could do with some pointers. Originally I was going to have a fiberglass pool installed but I can't get that into my garden as we have power lines nearby and access to the area itself is super tight (just over 2m I can only just get my car down the street with the mirrors in) so there's no way we can get a crane down to lift in such a pool, nor can we carry 2-3000 kilos in there.

I've been told it's possible to get pvc pools in sections that can be assembled easily BUT these apparently need replaced every 5 years or so. The sun is very strong here in summer so I'd imagine this would be the case.

So, I got back to the idea of thinking about a traditional concrete, tiled pool. However, I don't have much money and builders here want a lot to make these, most of the time, so I figured I would do it myself. I have plenty of time to devote to it but, after a fairly long search on the internet, not much idea where to begin.

Does anyone know of prefab pools that come in sections that I could drop into a walled frame or suchlike ? (they would have to be available internationally, not just in the USA). I am slightly worried about making up the walls etc with the pressure of the water inside the pool if it's just a normal tiled/breeze block build.

Basically I'm looking for any advice as to how to do this in a simple, quick and straightforward manner with just myself and my wife working on it. I'm sure it must be possible but I want to build something that will last and don't want to start on something that's doomed to failure.

Any and all help much appreciated. Also, pointers to "how to" websites would be handy, too, although I figured that's kinda what this was/is. There isn't much solid information online about doing such a thing that doesn't immediately require heavy plant and a) I don't have this and b) even if I rented it, there's no way to get it onsite. Best I can muster is about enough space to get in a small cement mixer.

Thanks in advance !

I think your best course of action is to get an aboveground pool. While it's possible to build your own inground pool, it's a pretty daunting task for just two people and not a lot of room to work with. A good aboveground pool will last many years and can be made to blend with the surroundings.

I think your best course of action is to get an aboveground pool. While it's possible to build your own inground pool, it's a pretty daunting task for just two people and not a lot of room to work with. A good aboveground pool will last many years and can be made to blend with the surroundings.

Thanks, yeah, we're definitely thinking this is the route to go down, just need some advice on materials etc. We're thinking to do it with breeze blocks/concrete but we only have a cement mixer and nothing much else. Will this be an impossible task ? Also, are there any precautions to take to ensure that the walls don't break with teh pressure of the water ? is there a height to thickness ratio or suchlike to work out how much water we can hold without it bursting ?

I'd suggest buying a ready made pool rather than trying to engineer one yourself. While there's not a lot of pressure on the walls the potential for disaster is great if the walls aren't properly engineered and built.

I do not know much about AGP other than Intex. Not brand specifics at least. Intex is considered to be a low end pool. 5 year estimated life. 18ft = about $450 USD.

On the other hand my mother just put in a new pool just slightly larger. Top of the line, 30 year warranty, about $4000 USD.

Both were premade, although hers is a metal walled pool where mine is just a frame. Obviously a lot of differences in terms of quality though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.