Intex SWG code 91 after cleaning

Jun 12, 2015
Portland, OR
Ok, I'm sure this has been answered before. I've read through the forums on this code quite a bit and nothing has worked yet...

I have model 8111 SWG with the 16' x 4' pool. The setup is starting it's 3rd year now.

After dumping salt in it several times it was still reading low salt. Off to the store to buy some test strips. Salt showed almost 5000ppm, so as I suspected, it had way too much salt, but still reading low salt. I disassembled the filter, capped the one end of the clear tube by the copper and filled it with white vinegar as I had seen on many posts here. Let it sit for 3+ hours, the plates looked clean, so I dumped the vinegar, rinsed out with the hose, and reassembled. Still reads low salt. Disassembled again and let soak in vinegar for about 18 hours. Still reads code 91.

As already mentioned, salt shows about 5000ppm, here are the rest of the readings:

Total Hardness: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
PH: 6.8
Total Alk: 40
CYA: 0

Please help! Am I getting a low salt error due to the other readings being off? Is my SWG dead?

Thanks!
Matt

I'd have to say that the cell is dead. Since it's 3 years old I'd say it's at the end of it's life.

While you're deciding on a replacement, it'd be a good idea to read about the ABC's of pool chemistry in Pool School.

Welcome to TFP! Your cell could be going if it is on its 3rd year. You also want to drain some water and replace it to bring the salt level down to recommended levels. It may correct itself after salt levels are lowered.

I have to replace my cell every 2-3 years. The same thing happens, 91 with plenty of salt. You can get a replacement on the Intex website for $68 plus shipping. Although you can get the entire unit on sale right now at Wal Mart for $99.

Walmart: Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System 7,000 Gallon

I would recommend against that one. As you are now seeing, you have to replace the entire unit once one component goes bad. What if part goes bad sooner? It is an Intex after all. I would get the 2800 or 3000 gph sand filter and the SWG I have in my sig. The ECO models do not have copper in them anymore, so that is a major advantage in my books!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.