Paint filter housing? My arms are so itchy

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
When we opened the filter housing to clean the Pentair cartridge filter, we got a lot of fiberglass stuck in our arms. Packing tape took a lot of it out, and wearing long sleeves the next time helped but I'd like to paint the fiberglass if possible to seal in all that fuzzy fiberglass that is so itchy.

Does anyone know what can or can't be used for this? My husband first thought of spar varnish, but I've had bad experiances with spar varnish on a front door and on a wooden bench. It cracked badly in just a few years -- maybe spar varnish needs to be kept wet? I dunno, but I hate to mess up the filter housing by using the wrong stuff.

Anona

Excellent question and I too, will wait to see what the experts say on this. I itched for a week after opening mine up the first time! Seems like a logical idea to me.

I've only bothered painting one tank, and I used an outdoor spray paint for the job. This filter will be replaced next season, so there was no need to spend hours making it look pretty on the customer's dime. Two cans covered a 225lb filter to the point that I don't get fiberglass on myself anymore.

If you wanted to go fancy I'd suggest a good marine paint that is made for fiberglass hulls, since it can handle the both the glass and the weather.

Aquaman95 said:
Or just spray your arms down with hairspray before opening the filter. It'll stop the fiberglass from going in your arms.

Aquaman, that's a great approach! (I always just keep a long-sleeved shirt handy for the 'fuzzy' filters, etc.) Any clue as to WHY it works? :scratch: and does the hairspray irritate you and easily wash off?

When I get 'filtered' (itchy arms) - I use duct tape to remove the fiberglass 8) a preventive measure would sure be nice :)

Thanx

Ted

waste said:
Aquaman95 said:
Or just spray your arms down with hairspray before opening the filter. It'll stop the fiberglass from going in your arms.

Aquaman, that's a great approach! (I always just keep a long-sleeved shirt handy for the 'fuzzy' filters, etc.) Any clue as to WHY it works? :scratch: and does the hairspray irritate you and easily wash off?

When I get 'filtered' (itchy arms) - I use duct tape to remove the fiberglass 8) a preventive measure would sure be nice :)

Thanx

Ted

It's never irritated me and it washes right off. I think it works by putting a film/layer over the skin so the fiberglass can't work its way in but that's just my hypothesis.

Aquaman95 said:
waste said:
Aquaman95 said:

Thanx

Ted

It's never irritated me and it washes right off. I think it works by putting a film/layer over the skin so the fiberglass can't work its way in but that's just my hypothesis.
As someone who still holds active Barber and Cosmetologist licenses in the State of Florida for over 35 years I can tell you that you are right on the money with your hypothesis. Hairsprays are made from water soluble polymers that do create a film.
Aerosol sprays will do a better job then non aerosol ones since they are faster drying and create a more even film.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wow fpm that looks like a winter wonderland. You know, i have never seen snow, and havn't worn a jumper for 19 years. Looks really beautiful maybe i should buy some skates and come over , maybe even make a snowman :) . great photo, ohh and by the way everyone, best wishes for the season. merry christmas and a happy new year.

happy swims Frank
ps house swap anyone

Attachments

• POOL 002.jpg
    POOL 002.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 409
House Swap! Love it. Thailand is probably a bit too exotic for my hubby though, but I sure could handle it right about now. Snowed again and the temp dropped into the teens. The older I get the less and less I enjoy Winter. I'll be in Florida with Waterbear before you know it. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.