Drained and refilled pool - looking for advice before adjusting levels

May 15, 2015
austin/texas
Hello all.
OK, I drained about half the pool and refilled (just reached full level this afternoon). The results, below, are from a couple of hours after reaching full (wanted to get a 3QT jug of bleach in it and let it circulate for a good hour. Circulated in filter bypass mode) Did the trick on the CYA but PH is really high (I'm assuming city water is high in PH). I'll do the research to see what needs to be done, but I wanted to post for advice to check my research and not screw this up. Help highly appreciated.

PH: took 3 drops of R0005 to balance

Chlorine: 1.4 ppm. Low. Added a 3 QT jug of liq bleach yesterday and another today - so 6 QTS in 2 days. Will add more tomorrow.

TA: 50ppm (good)

CH: 110ppm (low - quite surprised as our city water is very hard, or at least I thought it was). This # was 400 before drain/refill

CYA: 40ppm (perfect)

Thanks again for help

Cheers

p.s. After doing above test I let it circulate (filter bypass mode) a couple hours longer before applying the DE (I had backwashed while draining the other day)

Thanks for the replies.
PH: I had to add 3 drops R0005 to get to desired (7.5). From the color it appeared to be above 8 (off the color scale). No, I have not added anything but Chlorine (liq Bleach) as I wanted to hear from you all first. I will get that going this evening.

Honestly, I usually don't test CC--I did test it a few weeks ago and it was 0 -- since there's no one but me and my wife (and she only occasionally) in the pool. However, I will test that before posting in the future.

Thanks again!

Things are looking much better. This evening I added less than a quarter gal of MA (PH was ~8.2 ish) and 1 gal bleach (8.25% sodium hypochlorite) - was 1.2ppm.

PH: 7.5

Chlorine: 2.0 ppm. Still a tad low. Will add a gal tomorrow to get it ~3.

CC: 0

TA: 60 ppm (will test again tomorrow before adding ~ 4lbs Baking Soda - is that right?)

CH: 130 - 140 (a little low).

CYA: 45 ppm

Thanks again for help!

Cheers

You might want to test the calcium (CH) and pH in your tap water also, so you'll know what you're putting in when you top off the pool. Since you look like you have your testing down pat and a great knowledge of your pool (YAY!), you can start fine-tuning by bringing the CH up a bit. Your fill water test will help you know if your "normal" top offs this summer might help.

Test results from 6-16-15 after big rain (over an inch)

FC 0

CC 0

pH 7.5

TA 50

CH 140

CYA -40 (wow! Due to rain, I'm assuming)

Added 96oz bleach (8.25%) to get that up. Will check in 30 minutes or so (pump is running) and add another (I'm sure it will need it). However, with cya so low I'm thinking chlorine won't hold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.