How much chlorine?

JLS

Jun 3, 2015
Winnipeg/MB
I'm using the three part bromine system. Just filled tub. Added the appropriate amount of bromide (1/2oz per 100 gallon) and then added a cup of bleach. Hot tub is a compact...200 Gallon.
The stickie on Bromine states that at this point I should be registering at about 10ppm bromine but my test shows ZERO.
Should I be adding more bleach to activate the bromide??
How much bleach should I be starting with and how much to shock weekly?

If you are using a good test kit that you know does not bleach out at high sanitizer levels, then yes try adding more bleach and measure again. You might have oxidizer demand leftover, but usually it won't drop that quickly assuming you measured 10 minutes or so after you added the chlorine to activate the bromine.

Okay, I am dumfounded. I am going to have to take the water in for professional testing at my local spa supply place. Here's exactly what I did step by step and by results. Filled tub. 200gallon compact spa. Added 1oz of Rendevouz bromide starter(instructions indicate 1/2oz per 100gallons). Ran jets for full 15 minute cycle. Added 1c household bleach. Circulated water with lid open for approximately 10 minutes. Tested. Showed ZERO bromine. Added in my tab floater anyway. After consulting, added another cup of household bleach later in day. Let it "burn off" for ten minutes again and it still tested as ZERO bromine.
Tested again this morning to see if possibly it just needed more time… still showing ZERO bromine.
The tub sat with no treatment for two weeks as I researched what sanitization method I wanted to go with as well as tried to time getting to my supply place when they were actually open. During that time, the water remained crystal clear as it wasn't getting used. No scum, no bubbles, no smell. Now that I've added in some chemicals, there is a scum line and foaming.
I'm really confused at this point!!

How are you testing, OTO test, DPD, FAS-DPD, Strips?

Testing with strips. Was using Taylor drops but readings were so inaccurate and bouncing around that I followed advice from a "spa expert" on another board who said that if I have city water, I have no issue with hardness and calcium and such so I should just simplify by getting strips that focus in on the bromine, PH and alkalinity. Starting to question that now!!

Yes, you should question that advice. Test strips are not reliable in general. Some strips are OK for some tests sometimes, but generally the drop-based tests, most especially those using Taylor reagents, are the best. For bromine that would be the Taylor K-2106 though you could get the Taylor K-2006 (or TFTestkits TF-100) and use it for bromine if you think you might at some point also try chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.