Major Mistake = Cloudy. Please Help.

Jun 17, 2014
Austin, TX
I was all ready to do some pool chemistry today after some major rainfall activity. I measured the following this morning:
FC: 0
TAC: 0
Salt: 2400
hardness: 250
CYA: 0
TA: 50
ph: 8

So, I INTENDED to first put in 15 pounds of sodium bicarbonate. However, instead I mistakenly grabbed the sodium carbonate and added 10 pounds of it directly to the pool, pretty much all at once and then 5 pounds of sodium bicarbonate (containers looked the same). I saw it starting to get cloudy, but I figured it would quickly go away. I then added the 10 pounds of remaining sodium bicarbonate.

The pool is extremely cloudy.

I went ahead 4 hours later and put in 120 lbs of salt. I have a sense-and-dispense acid system, and pH is solid at 7.6.

The pool is as milky as can be. What should I do to overcome my mistake and get rid of the cloudiness?

Something tells me some of our veterans will have some pointers, but after seeing your numbers I was curious why adding some chlorine and stabilizer wasn't #1 on your list. :) Perhaps your SWG is just kicking in, but it may take a while. The last few days in our area have been brutal, so you may very well want to get some liquid bleach in there right away so you don't end-up fighting algae soon, along with the chemical situation. Start at about 2 ppm per day until you start to see CYA go up. Speaking of CYA, you need stabilizer ASAP! Use poolmath to push that up to about 40 using the sock method.

Something tells me some of our veterans will have some pointers, but after seeing your numbers I was curious why adding some chlorine and stabilizer wasn't #1 on your list. :) Perhaps your SWG is just kicking in, but it may take a while. The last few days in our area have been brutal, so you may very well want to get some liquid bleach in there right away so you don't end-up fighting algae soon, along with the chemical situation. Start at about 2 ppm per day until you start to see CYA go up. Speaking of CYA, you need stabilizer ASAP! Use poolmath to push that up to about 40 using the sock method.

Yes, I planned on addressing alkalinity first, and then I was going to add the salt and then the stabilizer (within the same afternoon). Unfortunately, I made the boneheaded mistake on the first step....

You should always address PH and FC first. Don't worry about the TA.
You will need to run pump 24/7 in filter mode.

Lower PH to 7.2 using muratic acid.

As for the cloudiness, I would bring FC to SLAM level and follow the SLAM process until you have clarity again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.