DIY Pump Replacement - Change in Input Port Height

rosensama

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi All,

The casing on my pool pump has a crack and started leaking. Thanks to all the good stuff in these forums, I feel pretty comfortable selecting a replacement pump and doing the work . . . except for one thing. The center of the current pump's input port is 9 3/8" above the pad. The center of the input port on the new models I'm considering runs around 8 1/8". So i'm wondering if I have to cut all the return lines on the suction side to lower them ~1", or if I can slope the final length of pipe that mates to the input port down, or what. I imagine this isn't a new problem, but I didn't find anything searching for it. I would love your help. I've attached a couple pictures of the setup.

Thanks a bunch,
Rob

--

18k gallon, IG plaster, 2.4 THP Centurion B130, Heyward S310T sand filter, Polaris 380 cleaner, aeration from spa waterfall

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You can not slope the pipe down to the pump inlet ... but you could use 45s to lower the pipe before the pump.
Or even easier, raise the pump up with a paver of rubber mats.

45s sound a lot easier than lowering all the risers. Any rule of thumb on how close they can be to the risers. The pump manuals recommend a 5 x pipe diameter straight run coming into the suction port.

Mats do sound easy, all right. Is there anything in particular you recomment that stands up well to the outdoors and some chemical dribbles from time to time?

Thanks,
Rob

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby they sell horse stall mats in half and full size (I think half size is about 3x5 ft for around $30) these make great cheap anti vibration mats and will reduce the amount of noise transmitting into the slab by your pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.