Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm planning to remove and replace the sand in my sand filter (Hayward S220T) in order to replace cracked laterals. I want to do an ample amount of planning beforehand to reduce the amount of downtime. I have a basic low-end 2.75 HP Shop Vac. I'm a bit concerned that it won't have enough power to suck 250 pounds of damp silica sand out of there in a reasonable amount of time. Anybody have any experience or recommends here? I suppose I can rent one if need be.

The sand filter is currently "hard plumbed" in there with no unions so I can't really experiment ahead of the tear down.

I did mine by hand before I found out that I could have used a shopvac! My poor hands were raw before I was done.

I do know that you will not be able to get it all out in one load. There is just not enough room in the holding tank. When I have to do it again I will use my 4.0hp vac. and put it in my wheel barrow so I can just dump the vac tank into the Wheel barrow with out lifting it.

I hope you will be adding unions while you are doing this. I find it to be helpful to be able to look into my filter and run a little water into it when I have a heavy load of small things like ants.

Kim

This doesn't help now....I am too late to the dance. I was able to roll a friends filter onto it's side and flood the tank with a garden hose. That washed out most of the sand fairly quickly.

Well the 2.75 HP Shop Vac did the job, but it was definitely labored. I really had to shake the hose and help it out with the wet sand quite a bit and it took a LONG time. If I do this job again, I'll probably look into renting a 6.5 HP Shop Vac.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.