Best way to raise cya.

tarab

Jun 15, 2013
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I switched to bbb in 2013. Cya was well over 100. Last year cya was registering around 40. This year I could still see dot so I knew it was below 30. Pool store said it was 27. I am using around 1 qt 2 cups per day. Last year I used that much bleach every 3 days. I would like to raise cya. I read about sock method in front of jets but I have young children in pool all day. What would be better cyanuric acid in sock in skimmer. Adding dichlor or trichlor. Would like to get cya up around 40 again and see if my chlorine consumption goes down. I have 15000 gallons above ground with sand filter. My pool is crystal clear. I get my FC up to 6 every evening and by the next evening it's around 2.5. CC is 0

Makes sense if your CYA is low to try save on chlorine a bit. How you do it is a personal preference to some degree. Sock is common, cheaper, and works well. Liquid is fine but costs more. Pucks or tabs will do it, but make take a while as well.

What part of the country are you in?

If you use pucks, just remember to test your pH often because the pucks are very acidic and will drive pH down. It will also take a long time for pucks to add that much CYA.

I would recommend to make a cloth bag out of a old tshirt or use an old pillow case, or socks. PUt the cya in teh bag and hang it from the pole in front of a return. If you squeeze it often, you can get all of the CYA into the water in a few hours. Remember though, that it wont show up on the test for several days though.

CYA granules in a sock would be the fastest simplest safest way to do it. Set it in the skimmer basket while the pump is on and give it a squeeze every once in a while and it will probably all be dissolved in a day or two.

You have your chemistry dialed in, why mess it up juggling FC-CYA-pH with dichlor or trichlor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.