New pool, builder delayed getting pump in, and water is going south...Help.

sundog1973

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Fargo
Last week, we got the pool filled. Since then, our electrical install has been delayed, and we have no pump capability yet. I got temp electrical to the pump, but there is some prep yet to be done on the skimmers before the pump can be turned on.

Here is my dilemma: the water is starting to go cloudy, and my numbers don't look especially good. The builder/pool guy doesn't seem to have any urgency to do anything about it. He has added some dichlor, which has helped a little bit, but it will be another two days minimum until the pump is hooked up and chemicals can really circulate and filters can work. Here are my latest numbers (taken with the ColorQ 7 Pro)

FCL .02
TCL .12
PH 8.0
ALK 99
CA 176
CYA 7

What can I do to keep the water on track in the next two days without a pump until we have a working pump? Can I dump in bleach, muriatic acid, stabiliser, etc., and circulate manually, or am I risking damage if I don't mix correctly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hi Sundog, wouldnt hurt at all to put in 50 oz or so of 8% bleach (liquid chlorine) daily until the pump is up and running. You could also lower the pH with muriatic acid (see poolmath for amount). Normally 1/2 hour apart is fine, but with only manual circulation maybe an hour? Acid is heavier so will sink to the bottom so stir the bottom up after adding. Best wishes!

Excellent. I will start with 1/2 bottle of plain bleach (about 50 ounces) each of the next couple of days, and stir it up well. I may hold off on the acid until I get the pump running. Thanks so much for the responses!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.