Suction or pressure

ge2655

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Years ago I retired my Polaris. The outlet is still in the pool wall at same level as active return jets. The pipe at the equipment pad is 1-1/2” pvc and is capped. I would like to put this outlet to use but I’m not interested in an automatic cleaner.

Question is…
1.) Should I place it on the suction side and use it to manually vacuum?
Tested hose length today and the central location of the intake/return will allow me access to the entire pool using 5 sections of hose from my old Hayward Navigator. Using only 4 sections and the leaf catcher canister would also work, although the extra section makes it slightly easier. The male end of the Navigator hose fits very snugly in the intake/return even without the line being under suction.
Or
2.}Place it on the pressure side and direct the return stream severely downward to keep the dirt and sand stirred up from the bottom to get it to the filter?
Amount of sand and dirt is not chronic and leaves are not a big problem except after a hurricane and I have a garden hose disc cleaner if that situation arises. No need for additional aeration since there is a raised spa overflow.

Capped pipe could be easily attached with a valve to either suction or pressure side.

Thank you in advance.
-Gary

10,000 gallon tiled finish
SWG
BBB method has been flawless.

Hi, Gary,

It sounds like you are leaning toward suction side.......I would agree.

Generally, increased suction capability is a good thing for a circulatory system. It looks like you gain some convenience benefits from it as well.

You could hook it up to a three way valve and make it do either.

If you were going to dedicate it, I'd go with pressure. Does vacuuming from your skimmer really inconvenience you? The thing about a dedicated suction line is that you can't just leave it open all the time, so it will only really help you when you're using a vac. Once a week or so? I also don't like them because they tend to get used without a leaf catcher in line. Sounds like you've got that covered.

If you dedicate it to pressure you create more movement in the pool all the time, and you can use it for a pressure side APC later if you choose.

But like I said, if you're already open to doing it either way, set it up to do so and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Finally finished my project to utilize an old pressure side cleaner connection within my current filter configuration. Spishex, I must thank you for enlightening me on the possibility of double duty usage of the old existing line.

I wanted to replace as little of the 20 year-old pipe as possible.

PAD ARRANGEMENT:
Spa blower was originally located front and center of the equipment pad. Relocating it to the right rear area of the equipment pad opened up the entire space.
Existing waste line evacuated onto the equipment pad. Though not used often, when activated it would flood the entire area. New waste line is extended to the privacy fence, controlled by Pentair valve and fitted through fence with a quick connect hose bib allowing connection to a garden hose.

FILTER:
Hayward 900 cartridge filter replaced by Hayward 1200 filter. Since the bottom sections of the two filters are identical, simply swapping the tie down rod and rigid tubing inside the existing filter allowed upgrading without having to replace the existing connections to the filter.

SUCTION SIDE:
The brass gate valve controlling the skimmer was faulty and needed to be replaced. I built a new manifold for the suction side, replacing both skimmer and pool drain brass gate valves and added a new connection for the vacuum line. Pool drain and skimmer valves are Pentair and new vacuum valve is a Jandy.

PRESSURE SIDE:
Spa overflow return - spring check valve was replaced with Jandy swing check valve and a Pentair valve was inserted to control flow.
Pool returns – Pipe extended into an upside down tee and controlled by existing 3 way Jandy valve.
New return – connected to uncapped pipe and controlled by existing 3 way Jandy valve.

(Flaw: I did not include a valve in the pool return line. There is no way to decrease the pool return flow without affecting the spa overflow return. Spa overflow rate is adequate and can be increased by opening the spa jets valve.)

RESULT:
SUCTION:
Location of new outlet permits vacuuming access to the entire pool bottom with 4 sections of hose.

PRESSURE:
1.) The flow of the pool is counter-clockwise. The location of the new outlet permits a controlled flow aimed directly towards the skimmer.
2.) To drain excess water, connect garden hose to quick connect poolside fence and open waste valve.
3.) Garden hose leaf grabber can be used for debris removal by either the waste line bib or if the pool requires fill water, from the water hose bib.

Very sweet.

Thanks for all your help.
-Gary

Attachments

• combo 03.jpg
    combo 03.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 171
  • combo 02.jpg
    combo 02.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 171
  • combo 01.jpg
    combo 01.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 171
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.