Connecting hayward skimmer to intex pump.

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Some of the pictures in the stickied posts have been lost. Whats the best way to connect my Hayward SP1091LX to my Intex 2,650 Sand filter pump? I stood in lowes for an hour trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together and without success. Maybe someone who has this setup could share a photo or two! Thank you!

I'm new to all of this, so someone else might chime in with a DIY alternative. I have almost the same setup as you, and for the past month I've been reading all the different ways to put these things together. I ended up deciding just to hard-pipe it, but those adapters were a close 2nd. They do come as a pair, so you could use the 2nd one to replace the Intex return with the Hayward return that comes with the kit.

go the electrical section and look for the cantex adapters.

the one that screws into the bottom of the skimmer looks like this.
088700955752lg.jpg

the ones that you use to attach to the pump and everything else looks like this. sand it so the top is smooth.
088700010017lg.jpg

use 1 1/2 pvc pipe.

go the electrical section and look for the cantex adapters.

the one that screws into the bottom of the skimmer looks like this.
088700955752lg.jpg

the ones that you use to attach to the pump and everything else looks like this. sand it so the top is smooth.
088700010017lg.jpg

use 1 1/2 pvc pipe.

The first part can also be found in the plumbing section. It is simply a 1 1/2" Slip to 1 1/2" MIP fitting. The second part only applies if you are converting the Intex flexible hoses to PVC pipe.

Neither of those parts will allow you to directly hook up the Intex hose to the skimmer bottom, but if you want to hard pipe the skimmer, the second part mixed with an Intex 40mm nut and 1 1/2" PVC coupling are the way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
P1010224.jpg

Can't remember, but less parts than above. But yes, that GAME 40 to intex connector helps a lot. I used quite a bit of those in my setup, much simpler than messing with pvc fittings. Nice to use the intex hoses to the hardware with active small kids.

Is there a way around buying that last piece for $11 online? Because all the other peices are available at my local home store right?

i do know it's possible if you have extra gaskets. the intex hose won't screw on all the way to a standard thread, but if you use two gaskets at connection point, you can make up the distance to prevent leaking.

i decided to hard plumb.

Well, I may look like a fool, but i might bring my skimmer into Lowes with me and try to set something up....i was skeptical about using hose clamps, but i suppose they would hold up just fine. I should have extra gaskets from the original pump that came with my pool.

My only concern with hard plumbing is bring the equipment into the shed for the winter (pump, swg, sand filter)

- - - Updated - - -

Can't remember, but less parts than above. But yes, that GAME 40 to intex connector helps a lot. I used quite a bit of those in my setup, much simpler than messing with pvc fittings. Nice to use the intex hoses to the hardware with active small kids.

Are you just using skimmer > GAME4560 > pvc valve > Game4560 > intex hose?? Or is like speedfreak posted?

I'm not at home right now, but I think skimmer >40 or something that fit the skimmer thread to male pvc/abs >female to 40 thread abs >valve>game. Don't worry I recall bringing the skimmer to Lowes also :). I also find it's easier to match up abs black piping instead of white pvc.

Are you just using skimmer > GAME4560 > pvc valve > Game4560 > intex hose?? Or is like speedfreak posted?

You would not use 2 of the GAME adapter. The adapter has one side that is standard plumbing pipe thread, and one 40mm side that is proprietary to Intex.

The Hayward skimmer is standard 1 1/2" plumbing pipe thread, and there are several combinations of valves and fittings you can add to it. However, at the end of whatever PVC setup you have, you'll need to convert to the 40mm Intex hose

The minimum amount of fittings would be to go skimmer>1 1/2" nipple > female threaded 1 1/2" ball valve > GAME adapter > Intex.

Most places don't stock the 1 1/2" nipples though.

As far as taking down the pool for winter, you can hard pipe and put a union in the line. This allows you to uncouple the plumbing and then couple it back together te next season.

Nate, I just did this over the weekend. Below is a pic of what I bought from HD. I did not have to do any customizing. I did bring one Intex nut and the bottom of the Hayward skimmer to HD. I connected the spaces with PVC. I posted this pic last week and a few people suggested I get all Schedule 40 pieces, which are not pictured. The intex hose slid over the bottom connecter from the Hayward skimmer, with a little help from some silicone spray and a hammer! My first PVC job and the only leak was from where the wide mouth attaches to the skimmer. Hope this helps.

Oops! Where is the pic? Let me try again...

Umm, sorry. I can't stick the pic. If you search my posts, it's under "got the pool, now what?"

Some of the pictures in the stickied posts have been lost. Whats the best way to connect my Hayward SP1091LX to my Intex 2,650 Sand filter pump? I stood in lowes for an hour trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together and without success. Maybe someone who has this setup could share a photo or two! Thank you!
Here is how I hooked mine up:

0CD99202-6DC6-4806-9460-F55109C38E4D_zps1skrd0ia.jpg

From the skimmer the plumbing is:
1-1/2" NPT Male X 1-1/2" slip
3" length of 1-1/2" PVC pipe
1-1/2" Ball Valve slip (worth the $10 IMHO)
3" length of 1-1/2" PVC
1-1/2" PVC 90
8" length of 1-1/2" PVC
1-1/2" Union
The rest depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to hook up the skimmer, use a 1-1/2" NPT Female X 1-1/2" slip fitting in place of the union, and put the Game 40MM X 1-1/2 Short Adapter into the PVC fitting.

There is a link in my signature showing a lot of the skimmer install.

HTH,
Dom

Reactions: jben04
Nate, I just did this over the weekend. Below is a pic of what I bought from HD. I did not have to do any customizing. I did bring one Intex nut and the bottom of the Hayward skimmer to HD. I connected the spaces with PVC. I posted this pic last week and a few people suggested I get all Schedule 40 pieces, which are not pictured. The intex hose slid over the bottom connecter from the Hayward skimmer, with a little help from some silicone spray and a hammer! My first PVC job and the only leak was from where the wide mouth attaches to the skimmer. Hope this helps.

Oops! Where is the pic? Let me try again...

Umm, sorry. I can't stick the pic. If you search my posts, it's under "got the pool, now what?"

Why do you have a T fitting there? Are you keeping the original I let and adding a skimmer? Would you have both valves open at the same time?

I use just the skimmer for daily filtering, the original suction port is now my dedicated vacuum port.

Dom
yes, I did the same thing, because I saw lots of people do it that way here.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you have both valves open at the same time?
I do right now have them both open because I can't close the ball valve as it is too stiff. Skimmer still works great, but I'm sure it will be even better with the other side closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.