ALright - Im back with normal CYA

Dec 28, 2014
Edmond, OK
Good Afternoon TFPers-

I have now half drained and refilled the pool a second time, my CYA is at a normal 40, and it is time to SLAM. Here are my readings all are accurate although I am wondering if I did the CH test incorrectly.

Here are my #'s:

TC - 0
TA - 300
ph 7.5
CH - 600
CYA - 40 <-- YAY!!!!

read with the TF-100

I put in 448 ounces of 8.25% Bleach as that was all I had left and need to run to the store. My wife bought Kemtek Liquid Chlrinater at Target - is that okay to use? Any other suggestions as I start my SLAM would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You might want to lower the pH a little bit before you raise the FC above 10ppm.

The Kemtek is fine ... if it is not too old and it was stored inside. (check the Julian date on the box).

don't worry about your CH numbers. its a little high but fine.

congrats on getting your CYA down, that's the worst part and you should never have to do it again.

you are going to need a lot of bleach. would start with at least 10 gallons with a pool of your size. 15 would be better.

don't worry about your CH numbers. its a little high but fine.

congrats on getting your CYA down, that's the worst part and you should never have to do it again.

you are going to need a lot of bleach. would start with at least 10 gallons with a pool of your size. 15 would be better.

Sounds like I need to go to Sams!

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to lower the pH a little bit before you raise the FC above 10ppm.

The Kemtek is fine ... if it is not too old and it was stored inside. (check the Julian date on the box).

How low would you suggest I take the ph and may I ask why?

The high Calcium could be right. Do you have hard water in your area? You'll know by the white crust on showerheads and drip coffeemakers. On the other hand, that test can be a pain if you have high CH. I know when I switched from manual stirring to using a speedstir my CH readings dropped about 200 ppm and it was the same water. When it hits the indigo stage, sometimes an extra minute of spinning will push it to blue. Swirling by hand, I'd guess 2 or 3 minutes would be the equivalent.

Just want to know if this is normal...started Slam two day ago - pool got COMPLETELY blue but still very cloudy. I brushed I vacuumed it stayed cloudy and turned back to green. I added chlorine to get back above shock level turns back blue - I brushed I vacuumed - turns back green - I repeated. This morning this morning it is green again - just want to make sure this is normal and I am not just waiting the Bleach.

This mornings readings before I shock:
FC 5.5 CC 6
TA 220
ph 7.8 although I realize this is inaccurate or should I add some acid just to be sure.
CH - 600
CYA - 40

Thoughts?

Just want to know if this is normal...started Slam two day ago - pool got COMPLETELY blue but still very cloudy. I brushed I vacuumed it stayed cloudy and turned back to green. I added chlorine to get back above shock level turns back blue - I brushed I vacuumed - turns back green - I repeated. This morning this morning it is green again - just want to make sure this is normal and I am not just waiting the Bleach.

This mornings readings before I shock:
FC 5.5 CC 6
TA 220
ph 7.8 although I realize this is inaccurate or should I add some acid just to be sure.
CH - 600
CYA - 40

Thoughts?
good morning, I thought I would jump in here till one of the pros can get back with you.

Yes, if your fighting algae, those numbers are right, the high CC shows your chlorine is attacking something. As your pool clears that number will go down. If your FC is 5.5 than yes you can check PH, it's when FC is over 10 that PH test is inaccurate . Also you are using poolmath, correct ?

Just looking at your pool size, I think your FC slam level should be around 16. put in your numbers and whatever that shock number is you need to keep it at that level thru out the slam. It means checking FC levels hourly at first and then less often when FC levels hold. The key is MAINTAINING the FC level so your not losing ground to the algae.

good morning, I thought I would jump in here till one of the pros can get back with you.

Yes, if your fighting algae, those numbers are right, the high CC shows your chlorine is attacking something. As your pool clears that number will go down. If your FC is 5.5 than yes you can check PH, it's when FC is over 10 that PH test is inaccurate . Also you are using poolmath, correct ?

Just looking at your pool size, I think your FC slam level should be around 16. put in your numbers and whatever that shock number is you need to keep it at that level thru out the slam. It means checking FC levels hourly at first and then less often when FC levels hold. The key is MAINTAINING the FC level so your not losing ground to the algae.

Thank you - checking hourly was impossible since I was at work the last 2 days - but I will be checking hourly this week. I think you are right I was just losing ground to the algae. I was shocking to 16 per the pool math - the reading I gave this morning was the overnight loss. I will just continue to keep the SLAM going and trust that it will work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hang in there, I have had my pool for 16 years and just started here as you can see. Where we live we open to a swamp every year. We always shocked to clear, but trusted pool store testing over my own ( a big mistake).
This site has answers to everything you need to know about the care and feeding of a pool. And on that rare case when something new comes up, these folks are on it like my dog with a bone.

The best thing is, it gives you a precise course of action with "LIVE" help, (instead of guessing as I went along before). You may get discouraged as you go along, but please, keep the faith ! With my pool, the swamp cleared pretty quick, but the last few days of cloudy water took awhile to clear. I thought "oh, that looks good enough". But Azgirl71 urged me to keep SLAMing till I past the OCLT test, and she was right!

And remember, they are always here, even if you need someone to hold your hand for a bit (or gently scold you, as in my case). Keep up the good work.........and the FC :goodjob:

Hang in there, I have had my pool for 16 years and just started here as you can see. Where we live we open to a swamp every year. We always shocked to clear, but trusted pool store testing over my own ( a big mistake).
This site has answers to everything you need to know about the care and feeding of a pool. And on that rare case when something new comes up, these folks are on it like my dog with a bone.

The best thing is, it gives you a precise course of action with "LIVE" help, (instead of guessing as I went along before). You may get discouraged as you go along, but please, keep the faith ! With my pool, the swamp cleared pretty quick, but the last few days of cloudy water took awhile to clear. I thought "oh, that looks good enough". But Azgirl71 urged me to keep SLAMing till I past the OCLT test, and she was right!

And remember, they are always here, even if you need someone to hold your hand for a bit (or gently scold you, as in my case). Keep up the good work.........and the FC :goodjob:

Thank you - sadly I needed the encouragement this is way more time intensive than I wanted it to be.

After this mornings reading - I checked pool math and added 4 gallons of Cloroz to get me to 16 FC - it actually is reading higher - last 2 hours my FC has been 22 and then 21. I have a timer set and will just keep the FC above 16. The only different thing I am doing from SLAM is that I have my Blue Diamond robot in the pool right now since it is raining and id rather not be out there brushing/vacuuming in the rain. Honestly I think the blue diamond is keeping my water green cuz it is constantly agitating up all the algae etc and not letting it settle. That make sense or should I take out my Robot?

Thank you - sadly I needed the encouragement this is way more time intensive than I wanted it to be.

After this mornings reading - I checked pool math and added 4 gallons of Cloroz to get me to 16 FC - it actually is reading higher - last 2 hours my FC has been 22 and then 21. I have a timer set and will just keep the FC above 16. The only different thing I am doing from SLAM is that I have my Blue Diamond robot in the pool right now since it is raining and id rather not be out there brushing/vacuuming in the rain. Honestly I think the blue diamond is keeping my water green cuz it is constantly agitating up all the algae etc and not letting it settle. That make sense or should I take out my Robot?

It's okay to overshoot FC a little as it will drop pretty quick when first starting the slam. That will give you some leeway between checks so it doesn't drop too far. As to how far to go above, I'll let someone answer that (don't go above mustard shock levels for sure)
As far as the robot, I'm not sure about leaving it in (someone will know for sure). Just remember to watch pressure gauge levels and backwash filter when it reads 20 % higher than normal level.
And yes stirring up the pool will make it green and cloudy again, If it quits raining, the more you can scoop up and remove by hand, the quicker the slam will go. Keep up the good work

It's okay to overshoot FC a little as it will drop pretty quick when first starting the slam. That will give you some leeway between checks so it doesn't drop too far. As to how far to go above, I'll let someone answer that (don't go above mustard shock levels for sure)
As far as the robot, I'm not sure about leaving it in (someone will know for sure). Just remember to watch pressure gauge levels and backwash filter when it reads 20 % higher than normal level.
And yes stirring up the pool will make it green and cloudy again, If it quits raining, the more you can scoop up and remove by hand, the quicker the slam will go. Keep up the good work

2 things:
1. I have a Sand Filter that runs at a normal 18 psi - does that mean I should backwash at roughly 22 psi?

2. What do you mean scoop up and remove by hand?

Yes that sounds about right.

Sorry, I reread your first post. What I meant by scoop is if you had debris in your pool like leaves and such. The more debris you remove the less the bleach has to remove. The brushing is for getting the sides and places the robot can't reach. Algae can hide in places and brushing helps to break the search of the algae so the chlorine can attack it.

It will seem pretty labor entensive at the start, but it will get easier and once your pool is clean and clear, you can maintain it with a drink in one hand...... Tho,... I am not suggesting that.... of course !:rolleyes:

Yes that sounds about right.

Sorry, I reread your first post. What I meant by scoop is if you had debris in your pool like leaves and such. The more debris you remove the less the bleach has to remove. The brushing is for getting the sides and places the robot can't reach. Algae can hide in places and brushing helps to break the search of the algae so the chlorine can attack it.

It will seem pretty labor entensive at the start, but it will get easier and once your pool is clean and clear, you can maintain it with a drink in one hand...... Tho,... I am not suggesting that.... of course !:rolleyes:

Okay thanks for clarifying - Thank you!

Right now I just want to be able to see further than 6 inches deep in the pool. Ugh!

Okay thanks for clarifying - Thank you!

Right now I just want to be able to see further than 6 inches deep in the pool. Ugh!

The pole on your brush is a good indicator of it getting clearer. If you see more of the pole or more of your ladder you know your getting somewhere ! I'll tell you what helped me a lot while waiting around, I looked around at other slam posts and picked up a lot of good pointers and encouragement. Plus I kept returning to pool school, to see if I was retaining any knowledge ! At my age ,you never know !:confused:

That backwash helped immensely - dropped my psi from 22 to 17 - dirty Sand Filter was definitely contributing to the green. I expect to see some improvement. Just curious on average how many times will someone need to backwash during a SLAM? My filter says only to backwash when it reaches 30 psi - that is why I hadnt backwashed once since I started the slam.

That backwash helped immensely - dropped my psi from 22 to 17 - dirty Sand Filter was definitely contributing to the green. I expect to see some improvement. Just curious on average how many times will someone need to backwash during a SLAM? My filter says only to backwash when it reaches 30 psi - that is why I hadnt backwashed once since I started the slam.

That's hard to say, depends on how much is in the pool. It's kinda like the FC slam levels. At first you'll seem to be doing it a lot, but as it clears you'll be doing it less and less. That's why they say to do it at 20% above normal as it clears out the bad stuff and allows your pump and filter not to have to work as hard. If you look around the site, you will see it mentioned about adding some DE to the filter to help catch the smaller stuff quicker, but I have no experience with that so I leave that one to the pros. By the way........they are watching our conversations :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.