Upsize PVC if I need to change pipes?

dzl13

Jul 29, 2014
okc
I have a serious leak in my suction line located below my deck in a Y joint (where both my skimmers join before heading to the jandy and pump. I'm at the point where I'll need to either patch or for a bit more money and effort I could upsize from a 1.5" suction to a 2". What do you guys think? I won't be changing the return lines which are 1.5". Is there any advantage? I know this will lower the pump load for the same flow rate.

I would upsize ... especially if you only have 1 pipe. Although if you are going through the effort, I would run the 2 skimmers separately all the way to the pump and control them with valves.

Is the Y joint actually schedule 40 PVC? That would be a rare fitting. More likely it was not the right type of fitting for the job.

I would upsize ... especially if you only have 1 pipe. Although if you are going through the effort, I would run the 2 skimmers separately all the way to the pump and control them with valves.

Is the Y joint actually schedule 40 PVC? That would be a rare fitting. More likely it was not the right type of fitting for the job.

As far as I can tell it is a "Y" because it doesn't make a hard 90 degree turn but I can hear the gurgling at the joint. I haven't excavated everything, 3 hours was my limit last night. Good idea on the independent lines, I think that's how it should have been run in the first place.

What is the required depth? As they are now they're about 2' below grade.

No idea what the required depth is in your area. Below frost line?

If you go with 2 lines, I might just leave the original one and add a 2nd 1.5" PVC line for the other skimmer. Although if you ever had to turn one off, then you would be back to only 1 1.5" pipe, but there should be no reason to do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.