Pool Pump Capacitor Replacement

Jul 2, 2012
Central MS
Hey guys - been a while since I've been on here. Tuesday evening, I noticed my pump wasn't on, so I manually shut off the timer, and I figured I would just start researching the problem on Wednesday. After reading a few posts on here and on youtube, the cause of my pump's failure seems to be the pump's capacitor. When it was on, it would hum slightly. It's a Pentair 1hp superflo pump, so it had a "doghouse" on the top of the motor to hold the capacitor. I cut the power, and attempted to spin the impeller from the strainer side, and it would spin freely both directions. So I took the old capacitor off IAW the youtube video, and tried to test it. All I have is a digital multi-meter, but supposedly, only analog and very special digital meters could be able to test it. My ohm reading was "infinite", being it displayed just a "1".

I later researched that the capacitor terminals can become bowed outward when they go bad, which - on the old one - they definitely were. I went ahead and ordered one with the same specs as the old one off of amazon, just because I could next day it. My pool is starting to turn a bit cloudy, and with the weekend...if I need to order some other part, I need to do it soon so I can get it here ASAP. So my question is...for you guys that have done this, does this definitely sound like a capacitor problem? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.