Full Test on Pool and Looks Pretty Good. What Adjustments Can I Make?

Jun 11, 2015
North Hollywood, CA
Hi All,

Received the Taylor K-2006 kit recently and ran a test on my pool to get a baseline of where things are at. Results are:

FC 2 ppm
CC 0
pH7.8
TA 110 ppm
CH 280 ppm
CyA 45

FC seems to be on the low side with pH is on the high side while TA seems over my goal which I am simply basing off of TFP recommended levels for a plaster pool with bleach. These aren't necessarily in any condition where I need to do something immediate are they? Any advice on stabilizing the levels would be much appreciated!

you need more FC and quick! your minimum FC at that level (use CYA of 50, always round up) is 4ppm...right now you are in danger of algae starting. you should raise your FC to the target of 6. I would take it to 7 and see how long FC is lasting, but don't let it go below 4.

how are you chlorinating?

pH is a little high, but not crazy. take it down to a bit with MA. that will eat up some of your TA over time (lowering the pH). wouldn't worry about your TA too much unless you are getting a really quick rise in pH

Raise FC up to about 6. Lower pH to 7.2/7.3 TA will come down on its own. Wait 30 minutes between each chemoical addition.

The recommended level for TA is 70-90+ Meaning, if you're below, you target something between 70 and 90 so you know how much baking soda to add. If you above, just plug in your current number as the target, it will tell you to add nothing, and you move along.

Great advice. I added 130 oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine and 60 oz of muriatic acid this afternoon. I'll take another test in the morning and see what kind of changes that made.

On another note: I noticed the pool has a layer of chalky residue that makes the floor look pretty discolored. I haven't brushed or vacuumed it just yet but it seems to come off by just rubbing it with my hand so I'm guessing it's some kind calcium build up. Would a simple nylon/stainless brush and vacuum job take care of it?

Video for clicks

Thanks!

I'm not sure what that stuff is exactly, but I had a lot of it at one time. That's why brushing and vacuuming are important.

A wall whale brush really helps.

gabby-frontpage-gary-and-water.jpg

I'm starting to think that the previous pool cleaner never really brushed the pool at all now! I can see some spots where it looks like someone attempted to brush but never really finished the job. I'm feeling better and better about my decision to take care of this myself.

So I've read about the Whale Tail brush before. Is it really that nice having the spoiler on there? Or is the brush itself just that good?

Chemical balance looks much better this morning too.

FC 7.5
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 290
CyA 40

When you're doing the walls, it's a backsaver. You just push down. It pushes against the wall for you. It can develop some serious pressure. On max lift, it will bend a pole. Guess how I know. When you shove it across the floor and hit the end of the stroke, stop and watch the wave erupt on the far wall in a few seconds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The whale sounds like serious business. I actually ended up picking up something similar to it. It still has a spoiler on it (albeit much smaller). I'm hoping it will do a similar job to the whale.
lybxQPE.jpg

Texas Splash - The water color and clarity look really good. I did forget to add the CC numbers on my last post. Here they are for this morning...

FC 6.0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 260
CyA 40

So after a day of swimming with some friends over the calcium buildup from the walls have turned made the water cloudy and raised the CH up to 280. The visibility can't be more than 7 feet or so. I ran the pool filter for a good majority of the evening hoping some of the calcium would filter out of the water but no luck. Any ideas on how I can maintain the water clarity as I scrub down these walls that have been neglected for so long?

ndn4dkO.jpg

The other chemicals were off this morning as well:

FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 110
CH 280
CyA 35

FC and pH dropped a bit so I added some chlorine and soda ash to raise those levels back within range.

You'll probably want to raise the CYA a bit to deal with the sun. 50 is a reasonable target. When you do that, your minimum FC level goes up, but daily chlorine use should come down a little.

pH is fine. It's between 7.2 and 7.8
TA is no problem. It's in the 70-90+ range
You can't do much about CH, that comes out of the tap, and it's okay.

All you can do with the cloudiness if it's coming off the walls is brush and be patient and let the filter get it. Anything you can do to improve circulation helps. I like to get maximum flow on the main drain while I'm brushing in hopes it will end up getting whisked away when I brush it that direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.