Algae again... Clears - comes back - reappers - Advise?

Hi all - Lets get you some background here. I've had this pool for 31 years (seems like forever). New filter 3 years ago - new pump this year. New liner 6 years ago. Kids used to use it all the time - I never use it. Anyways.. It was used all the time when the kids were growing up - now since they are out of the house, I have to open it because it is all of my back yard. Wife uses it occasionally. Last few years I battle with algae. Not so much green water - it grows on the walls and seems to be a dust of it on the bottom. I can see it clearly - so the water usually isnt bad. I brush the walls - case of shock after dusk, run the filter and by the next day it looks great. Trouble is, three days later it starts to form. A trip to the pool store will leave me looking to remortgage the house. After some research, I wound at this site and the help seems to be genuine. I check the chlorine (usual drops test kit) and it is good. I never used stabilizer... Which after a little reading - I'm guessing I should be. I do backwash on a regular basis, especially after a bought with algae. I do disassemble the filter and wash it out once during the summer. Does the fact that there is what I would refer to as 'inactive water" effect this? (What I mean by that is, nobody walking on the bottom, churning up the water) I know of so many people in my area with this issue - even brand new pools with plenty of activity. Aside from a few dump truck loads of dirt - I hope I can get this under control once and for all this year. I read a few ways to do the stabilizer - skimmer basket / sock filled with it ~ my trouble is, I will need a lot. I have close to 50,000 gallons of water to treat - If I need 10 or more pounds, how will it all dissolve? I do appreciate any help offered - many thanks!

You won't know if you need stabilizer until you get a proper test kit. See here: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

There are many sources of stabilizer (aka CYA or cyanuric acid). You can buy it as a pure chemical. However, most people who don't think they've ever used it have been using it for years. Trichlor pucks that MANY pool owners use add chlorine AND cyanuric acid to the pool with each tablet. Dichlor powdered shock adds chlorine AND cyanuric acid as well, with a higher CYA/chlorine ratio, so it adds it even faster than trichlor. You may already have enough (or more than enough) CYA/stabilizer in your pool.

Step 1 to take control is get a good test kit.
Step 2 is to read what you can in Pool School to understand the methods and the science behind them. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is a great place to start.
Step 3 is asking questions about what you've read and posting test results from your test kit. We'll help you from there.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

First, Welcome to TFP!

While there certainly could be circation issues, your trouble is rooted in lack of Chlorine problems. This I promise you. Being at 50k gallons, I'll be honest and tell you that going Salt Water Chlorine should be considered. We use liquid Chlorine here mostly, but that is a big pool. If you can get bigger stronger quantities where you are it would be easier. Also, you may have flexibilty to use some form of powdered Chlorine to supplement. To find out, a full set of numbers from a good kit would be needed to make that determination. And having one is essential to gaining control and eliminating these issues. All the help and knowledge is here to get this done BTW. We are all about knowledge, understanding, and testing to gain full control and a trouble free pool.

I brush the walls - case of shock after dusk...

Welcome to the forum!

When you say you add a case of shock, what type of shock? If it is powdered dichlor, that will be adding stabilizer to your pool. If you've been doing that a lot, your stabilizer (CYA) level could actually be very high, reducing the effectiveness of your chlorine, and contributing to your algae problems.

You'll need a good test kit to test your CYA level. Pool store tests are often woefully inaccurate, and the CYA test is the one they get the most wrong. For an accurate CYA reading, you need to do the test yourself using one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Welcome to the forum!

When you say you add a case of shock, what type of shock? If it is powdered dichlor, that will be adding stabilizer to your pool. If you've been doing that a lot, your stabilizer (CYA) level could actually be very high, reducing the effectiveness of your chlorine, and contributing to your algae problems.

You'll need a good test kit to test your CYA level. Pool store tests are often woefully inaccurate, and the CYA test is the one they get the most wrong. For an accurate CYA reading, you need to do the test yourself using one of the Recommended Test Kits.

I use liquid shock. I ordered the K-2006 test kit on-line. As soon as I receive it I will do a test and share the results. A chemist I'm not.. I do agree with the pool stores in testing water - every store has different results. I cant afford to use their advice with the amount of water I have - I'll go broke. Wish I had found this site a long time ago - Thanks for all the input and advice. I'll hold off on the dirt for now.

Post up numbers when you recieve your kit and we will get you going :)

There are five chemical levels that every pool owner needs to keep track of:
•FC - Free Chlorine - A sanitizer which keeps your pool water safe and free of germs. Chlorine must be constantly replenished. (level depends on CYA)
•PH - Acidity/Alkalinity - Needs to be kept in balance to prevent irritation and protect the pool equipment. (7.5 to 7.8)
•TA - Total Alkalinity - Appropriate levels help keep the PH in balance. High levels can cause PH to rise. (60 to 120, sometimes higher)
•CH - Calcium Hardness - Appropriate levels help prevent plaster damage. High levels can cause calcium scaling. (220 to 350, vinyl lower)
•CYA - Cyanuric Acid - Protects chlorine from sunlight and determines the required FC level. (outdoors 30 to 50, SWG 70 to 80, indoors 0 to 20)

You are on the right track. We can and will help you with the pool and tests. There are videos of each test that are easy to follow.

When you say "liquid shock" do you mean bleach or chlorine? Just curious.

Kim

Welcome to the forum!

I use liquid shock. I ordered the K-2006 test kit on-line. As soon as I receive it I will do a test and share the results. A chemist I'm not.. I do agree with the pool stores in testing water - every store has different results. I cant afford to use their advice with the amount of water I have - I'll go broke. Wish I had found this site a long time ago - Thanks for all the input and advice. I'll hold off on the dirt for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! So glad you found us before you called in the dump trucks! Reminds me of another recent thread posted by a user named "JustFillItIn". His pool was an amazing nuclear green color.

He has since changed his user name to "DontFillItIn" and is now the proud owner of a sparkling clear Trouble Free Pool!

When I saw your user name I got excited because I know we can help you to figure this out and take control and soon you won't be hating your pool anymore. :)

Although you have never specifically added stabilizer/conditioner alone, as others have already mentioned, most of the solid/powder forms of chlorine already have the stabilizer (CYA - Cyanuric Acid) as an added ingredient. I see your signature says you have a Chlorinator. If that is the type of chlorinator that uses chlorine pucks you will already have CYA in the pool.

We'll soon know just how much when you get your test kit in.

Definitely keep reading around the site while you're waiting for your test kit. Specifically the articles in Pool School.

This is a good one to start with if you haven't already read it. ---> Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Any questions about what you've read can be asked right here and there will be a bunch of people ready to answer or explain. :)

Welcome again and congratulations on taking control of your pool! After so many years doing it the pool store way I think you're really gonna like it here.

Thanks! Yes - I use the pucks. Slow dissolve 3''. I buy them on line from either Dohenys or In the Swim. I will get the results up as soon as my kit hits the mail box. I'm actually eager to learn about the readings. I am really looking forward to enjoying this pool rather than dreading it. Until it arrives - I'll be studying in the "Pool School" library. On a positive note, the pool looked good this morning.. Have a great weekend all!

Here's another question - How do you keep ducks out of your pool? I have two that have taken up residency. Not all day, but they seem to enjoy a 6 AM and evening swim... I let the dog out - she barks at them, they could care less.

Thanks! Yes - I use the pucks. Slow dissolve 3''. I buy them on line from either Dohenys or In the Swim. I will get the results up as soon as my kit hits the mail box. I'm actually eager to learn about the readings. I am really looking forward to enjoying this pool rather than dreading it. Until it arrives - I'll be studying in the "Pool School" library. On a positive note, the pool looked good this morning.. Have a great weekend all!

Here's another question - How do you keep ducks out of your pool? I have two that have taken up residency. Not all day, but they seem to enjoy a 6 AM and evening swim... I let the dog out - she barks at them, they could care less.

Ducks that already like your pool area might be tough since they already feel comfortable there. I've heard some folks have success with flags or long reflective streamers around the pool. Use the search function as well and I bet you'll get some ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.