New at this and frustrated already.

Jun 10, 2015
Cincinnati, OH
Hi, my name is Katie and my husband and I bought our house 2 years ago (August 2013). Since buying our house we've had nothing but trouble, with the pool AND the house :( As first time pool owners, we are very overwhelmed and have not a clue about anything. As you can guess, we are extremely overwhelmed and frustrate. All I want is a clear pool!
A bit of back ground information: Last year we had an algae issue, this year (after having the pool opened since May 26th) we've had a cloudiness issue. I will be posting a thread regarding this, as we need all the help we can get, but I didn't want my introduction to be taken over by our problems.
I'm really hoping there is free help here as we feel like we've been taken advantage of by a local pool company.
Once I can get home and check my specifics, I'll be posting my issues.
Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Katie

Welcome Katie! :wave:

We are here to teach and help. No motivation to trick or take advantage I promise. We are all owners here helping other pool owners. First, relax. We will help you get this under your control no worries. The two most important things you need are, knowledge, and a proper test kit. You have to know what's going on with the water to fix it, and a good kit is the only way to find out. All the knowledge is here, along with our help to sort it out if you need it. Good to have you with us, and enjoy the forum.

i know the reccomended test kit sounds like we are trying to get you to spend more money
but it is a cheap investment compared to one visit to the pool shop
with accurate test results fixing the problems will be so easy you will be kicking yourself for not doing it last year
most of us have never had algae again since joining here

What they all said, but first step is not to buy a test kit, first step is take a deep breath, and know that many of us first came here with the same sort of frustration you are feeling now. Second step is to order that good test kit, I strongly suggest the TF-100 with the XL option (see my signature for link) to anyone that has water that is less than clear, it comes with more of the reagents you will need when testing the water, which you will need to do a fair amount of until we get it balanced, then after a while testing will become a thing done 2 or 3 times per week, maybe less. All too often, particularly this year I have seen people opt for the slightly cheaper Taylor K-2006, just to run out of reagents for the FC or CYA test half way to the point of getting their pool cleared, then be set back a few days waiting for replacement reagent to come in. Now you may be asking why should you spend another $75+ dollars on a stupid test kit after spending a fortune in the pool store, the answer is simple, without accurate test results you are flying blind, and our ability to help you make sense of what is going on with your pool is greatly diminished, this means unneccessary often expensive chemicals get added to your pool, which just leads to more frustration all around. Once you get your test kit in, post your test results, along with a description of what the water looks like in your pool, and a good history of what has been going on and we can take the first real steps to making it a trouble free pool for you.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is what I cannot get to go away on the bottom of our pool.

This is what it looks like dry.

This is the filter we have.

This is the pump we have.

This is my story.
Last year we had a giant algae issue. I don't think we ever got it blue and clear and there was NEVER a day where there was any free chlorine testing positive in the pool. We did the best we could closing the pool and even dumped out the sand for fear it was that causing the issues. Because we had so many problems last year, I talked my husband in to having it professionally opened. We even went to a "pool school" to learn a little more about our money pit. We spend $220 to have them open the pool on May 26th. On May 27th it was still just like it was when we took the cover off of it. So we took a water sample. We spent $350 on chemicals to clear it up. By Saturday, May 30th, it was clearer by 1 foot. We could finally see leaves and debris on the bottom. But I wasn't happy, so we took a sample back and explained to them that the flow coming out of the jet was weak. They came over and determined that it needed to be backwashed. So we backwashed it and waited a week. On June 6th we again took another sample and explained that it was clearer, but still hazy and that the stuff on the bottom was coming up but coming back the next day. He concluded that it was mustard algae and sold me $70 worth of product-product I had just used the week before. After boohooing to my dad, he came over and put 4 gallons of shock in it. It cleared it up a little more but I spent an hour sweeping the bottom on Wednesday, only to have it look like this on Thursday. I'd give you the numbers that they came up with, but they are at home right now.
Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 60
There's nothing there that a few days at shock level and some brushing and vacuuming won't fix. You can see the dark spots on the floor through the haze - that's almost there!

Too bad you didn't find us first. You'd already have a sparkling clear pool, a primo test kit, and four or five hundred dollars more in the bank than you do right now.

We can sympathize with your frustrations. We've all been there. However after reviewing this thread, I don't see that you've been able to get your own TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit yet have you? We can't over-emphasize the importance of having one of those kits. Until then, we are just guessing with the best course of action. With the accurate numbers, the TFP team can really help get your water back to crystal clear and save YOU a lot of time and possibly $$$. Most importantly - the pool store "products" are not going to resolve your issue. They will deplete your pocketbook. :( Let us know as soon as you get the proper kit so we can assist.

I'll have to let someone else try to specify exactly what it is in the pic. But most importantly, regardless of the "type" of algae, it's going to stay there (suspended in water, settle on the floor, attached to walls or lie in your filter media, etc) until you are able to match and maintain the correct "Free Chlorine" (FC) SLAM level as compared to your current CYA (stabilizer) level. Only the TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kits will give you those numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Because your water is cloudy, it would appear you have some organic matter in there eating-up your chlorine and it needs to be addressed by first having accurate readings. Jus something to consider. :)

That's so awesome to hear that it doesn't look like mustard algae!!!!!!! Hopefully I can just keep sweeping and it will finally all get filtered out. I'm afraid if I go to my husband with one more pool related expense, he might just throw me out! I might have to cozy up to him over the weekend ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support