Help me PLEASE!!!

Jun 11, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hello TFP,
Well, we just bought an above ground 12 x 30 Summer Escapes pop up pool from walmart, set it up and filled it this past Friday. The kids swam in in that evening, Saturday afternoon and evening and again Sunday. Sunday night, I finally had the thought that we might need to treat this water since they are flopping around in it. I went back to walmart and bought the HTH starter kit and was immediately overwhelmed. I have shocked the water once, on Monday. The kids swam in the pool the next day (Tuesday). I have been keeping the cover on when not in use, and just realized that it keeps the water hot. The pool was covered all day yesterday and we went to take the cover off today and the pool looks cloudy. So.....no knowledge me....and with the advice from my husband....I added a cap full of the shock to the pool again...and for the first time, I added 2 cap fulls of the chlorine. I need some serious help. First off....can the kids use the pool when you use the shock? Also... I am a math dummy..... all this talk about pH, alkalinity, blah, blah, blah..... please explain to me step by step, as if I were a 7 year old, what to do to keep my pool swimmable for these girls? I am in desperate need of some help...... Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Desperately Seeking to Swim
(DSTS):confused:

Welcome! I'm not one of the experts but know that to start you need to get familiar with pool chemistry and how to test. Take a moment to read the Getting Started links. Tons of information that will help. These guys know what they're talking about. If you follow the Trouble Free Pool method you will have a clear and clean pool in no time.

Link to some great test kits.

I added the HTH Shock 'N Swim (one cap full - approx. 2oz) and the HTH Chlorinating granules (2 caps full - approx. 4oz). And I have been using the test strips, but I don't know why?? I know... I am a pool idiot. That's why I am on here asking for some help. If there is any hope, please tell me what step to take next.

As was mentioned in your other thread, you should have followed the Temporary/Seasonal Pool Guide.

Now it seems that you are adding random chemicals and it is going to be hard to estimate your chemistry levels using PoolMath.

Can you be specific about exactly what you have added and how much?
Saying "shock" and "chlorine" is not descriptive enough.

Shock N Swim and the chlorinating granules are actually both cal-hypo (which adds CH) I think. Confirm by reading the ingredients.

You need to add stabilizer so that the FC level is not so harsh.

You could do this by using Dichlor to add FC and slowly raise the CYA. (see How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?) Or just buy the stabilizer separately which is less confusing as described in the Seasonal pool link.

I'm sort of a math and science dummy myself. You can do this. I had kids screaming to swim before I got my water balanced and it was a pain, but worth the wait. I'm not sure how to advise on your type pool, but listen to these guys and your babies will swim in safe, clean water.

Just to reinforce .... take your time. Keep the basics in mind such as:
FC = your good chlorine. (sanitizes your water) Increase it by using regular liquid bleach.
CYA = your stabilizer (protects your free chorine). For your pool ideal level should be 30-50. Here in Texas (full sum for me), I'm in the 45-50 range.
PH & TA = work together to keep your water from being too acidic and close to what our own bodies consider comfortable (eyes, skin, etc)
CH = deals with hardness, but should not be a concern for your above ground vinyl pool

Keep the following two charts on your fridge: Chlorine/CYA Chart and Recommended Levels Chart (links below) Just match what you have or where you need to be on those products. When you need to change a level (i.e. FC), use the Poolmath calculator (link below). Enter your pool capacity at the top, then enter your current (NOW) number, followed by your TARGET based on the charts. See .... easy! :)

Let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful on the CYA. It takes about a week to register on your readings. You don't want to go over 50.

Thank you so much for your respons. My question is, how do i find out these numbers? What do I need to test the water?

Just to reinforce .... take your time. Keep the basics in mind such as:
FC = your good chlorine. (sanitizes your water) Increase it by using regular liquid bleach.
CYA = your stabilizer (protects your free chorine). For your pool ideal level should be 30-50. Here in Texas (full sum for me), I'm in the 45-50 range.
PH & TA = work together to keep your water from being too acidic and close to what our own bodies consider comfortable (eyes, skin, etc)
CH = deals with hardness, but should not be a concern for your above ground vinyl pool

Keep the following two charts on your fridge: Chlorine/CYA Chart and Recommended Levels Chart (links below) Just match what you have or where you need to be on those products. When you need to change a level (i.e. FC), use the Poolmath calculator (link below). Enter your pool capacity at the top, then enter your current (NOW) number, followed by your TARGET based on the charts. See .... easy! :)

Let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful on the CYA. It takes about a week to register on your readings. You don't want to go over 50.

That would be the TF-100 test kit (link below) It's a reasonable amount to have all the tools needed to properly check these levels on your own. No trips to the store, no wasted products, no gimmicks. Just you, the test kit, and some common household chemical items. Ask for the speed stir so it mixes everything up for you like a pro. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and in my definitions above I forgot to list "CC" = Combined Chlorine. Think of this as the bad stuff, the trash remaining in your water from the war on germs, algae, and bacteria. We never want that above .5 ppm (parts per million). All of these things are easily tested with the TF-100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much!! I will let you know how everything turns out!!

That would be the TF-100 test kit (link below) It's a reasonable amount to have all the tools needed to properly check these levels on your own. No trips to the store, no wasted products, no gimmicks. Just you, the test kit, and some common household chemical items. Ask for the speed stir so it mixes everything up for you like a pro. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and in my definitions above I forgot to list "CC" = Combined Chlorine. Think of this as the bad stuff, the trash remaining in your water from the war on germs, algae, and bacteria. We never want that above .5 ppm (parts per million). All of these things are easily tested with the TF-100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.