Transitioning from SWG to chlorine

Apr 12, 2015
Placerville, CA
This is our 7th summer in our pool and our salt cell is finally biting the dust. I don't really want to shell out the money for a new one right now, going to give it a try just using tablets and liquid chlorine this summer. Since I opened the pool as a SWG, I want to make sure I'm doing okay with the chemicals. Here are my test results from this morning:

FC: 6
pH: 7.3
Alk: 100
CH: 220
CYA 70

The water temp is around 78. The water looks really great. On my little Taylor chart thingy, it says the saturation index is -.3. This is new, it's usually closer to 0 or .2.

Anything I should adjust?

Thanks!

With a CYA that high, you can not afford to use any trichlor tablets or dichlor powder and must stick to bleach.

There is really nothing special you need to do to start using bleach instead of the SWG. Just maintain the higher appropriate FC level for your CYA based on the non-SWG chart: FC/CYA Chart

Your CSI is a little low (although still in range) because your CH and pH are on the low side. Just let the pH come up a little bit.

If you will keep your FC within ranges of teh FC/CYA chart, you will not get algae.
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Its never best to go with tabs as your main source of FC. If you dont use the SWG, then you will have to daily test and add liquid chlorine.

For every 10ppm of FC Trichlor tabs add, they also add 6ppm of CYA. the FC depletes realatively quickly. The CYA does not deplete. So, over time the CYA climbs and climbs and climbs, until eventually, the FC cannot keep up. Eventually, you will have to drain the pool to get the CYA down. And since you're in California... .you will be in bad shape.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.