Kids are WEARING ME OUT about swimming!

Jun 6, 2015
madisonville, tx
40K gal pool
CYA is 42
PH is 7.4
FC is around 14

Pool was green and cloudy when I started the process, but is clearing up. I can actually see the bottom of the pool now on the shallow end and it is moving towards a blue tint as opposed to green, but is still overall cloudy. Hayward sand filter running 24/7. CYA was at 0 4 days ago. Added a total of 12 lbs of stabilizer over a two day period and it's holding steady now. Prior to that, the FC would have zeroed out by now. Brought the FC to 16 2 days ago and haven't added any since. It's still reading higher than my Taylor test kit shows so I'm estimating it at between 14 to 16. Kids are wanting to swim and communicating that through their loudspeaker (aka "The Wife"). Is there an issue with people in the pool with the chlorine levels so high? Should I hold my ground and make them wait or are they ok to get in. Tough to play hardball on this when it's 97 degrees out.

Where are you getting your test results? A recommended test kit or pool store?

If those are results from a recommended test kit, it's safe to swim in that pool with an FC of up to 16/17 ppm. Provided you can see that bottom of the pool clearly for safety reasons. You may see swim suits fading more quickly or it be a bit harder on hair but it's safe to swim. Have them rinse off before and after going in. Before to save your FC, after to rinse off suits/hair well.

Welcome to TFP!

Make me the bad guy and tell the kids they need to wait. I sincerely suggest a full and complete SLAM on this pool before you let them swim in it. You can begin that once the proper kit arrives. It really sounds like you need to do this.

when the wife asks you if there is too much chlorine in the pool for the kids, and your response has to be "I guess it's alright" because you don't have a test yet that reads that range....well let me know what response you get :)

A better one would be: "Hon, I don't know. Before we risk our kids well being, why don't we get a proper kit and find out?"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.