Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Sorry, no pictures (yet) but for the last few mornings (about 3 days) I have had a little visitor enjoying my pool. Let's call him "Kermit".

I thought my pool water was rather inhospitable to various forms of terrestrial life (FC ~6ppm, borates 50ppm) but I guess frogs are made of tougher stuff. I'm not sure which is worse, a live frog or a dead one, but he's been alive each morning I fished him out of the water. I finally threw him over the wall at the far end of my property so I'm hoping he leaves and finds another pool to inhabit....preferable one that is not practicing TFPC so that person can find this site and become a convert ;)

Any thoughts on frogs, chlorine demand and water sanitation?

This little guy scared the life out of me the other night at about 1am when I went out to check the pool before bed. But at least he posed for a picture.

Based on another TFPC post, I just ordered 2 of these!

The FrogLog Swimming Pool Escape Ramp Device| Rescue Small Animals from Drowning

Ridiculous -- but not as ridiculous as me & my partner each with leaf rake & skimming thing on a pole chasing this frog (or another one like him) around our pool for 10 minutes before work the other morning (unsuccessfully -- and he got out anyway - we threw a floaty thing in for him to climb onto).

Yeah! Frogs in water are FAST!! Took me a good 2 mins of chasing mine down with the leaf rake.

Tarantulas on the other hand are fairly slow, bad swimmers and do not react well to water with borates in it. Evidenced by this photo -

Fuzzy had no chance....hope his last meal was tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This little guy scared the life out of me the other night at about 1am when I went out to check the pool before bed. But at least he posed for a picture.

Based on another TFPC post, I just ordered 2 of these!

The FrogLog Swimming Pool Escape Ramp Device| Rescue Small Animals from Drowning

Ridiculous -- but not as ridiculous as me & my partner each with leaf rake & skimming thing on a pole chasing this frog (or another one like him) around our pool for 10 minutes before work the other morning (unsuccessfully -- and he got out anyway - we threw a floaty thing in for him to climb onto).
Well, if my experience is any example, just return those now. All they did in my pool was collect stuff flowing around the pool headed for the skimmer.

The frogs visit my pool every night, leave me a deposit on the bottom of the deep end, do the backstroke for a while and leave. I've never figured out how they get out of my pool, bu I can only guess they move to the top step (wedding cake steps) and hop out from the shallow water there. I have not been able to stop them.

I have several frogs in my pool every day now ever since Texas got pounded with rain. Many of those little guys I pull out of the skimmer if I can in the early morning, some hanging on for dear life, some others ... just too late. Wolf spiders have been a huge issue until about a month ago when I decided to put some Ortho granules around the perimeter of my pool. Lastly, just about every morning I get a new scorpion in the pool. Not the greatest swimmers those guys. :drown:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just how big was your Kermit? Mine was 6 inches from nose to bum!!!!! With his legs out he was twice as long!

It took some doing to help him out and back into the pond.

Kim

Hmmmm....sounds like a shotgun might be necessary for one that large. My little guy was probably 3" max

We save the shotgun for the gators that try to move into the pond! In 14 years we have had two visit. They were small ones but small ones grow so.............anyone like gator tail?? (They would not remove them because they were too small) We tried to get them to move out but they would not :( We have cats so could not take the chance of anything happening to them.

Kim

We save the shotgun for the gators that try to move into the pond! In 14 years we have had two visit. They were small ones but small ones grow so.............anyone like gator tail?? (They would not remove them because they were too small) We tried to get them to move out but they would not :( We have cats so could not take the chance of anything happening to them.

Kim

We've got this interesting meat store nearby that sells all kinds of "interesting" meats. Lots of snake, elk, all sorts of game. I'll have to see if they have any selections of gator....do you prefer gas grille or smoker for the gator tail?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.