Rant about dollar store bleach

Apr 23, 2015
Church Point, LA
I was on my way back from work and knew I needed chlorine for my pool, so I stopped at Family dollar store to buy some bleach. It's the easiest to stop at place by a long shot for me. I've had good results with their bleach before. 6% meant around 5.2. So I bought the last two gallons on the shelf of it to make up the 48 oz I would need. Got home. Tested the water. Added what I figured. Waited an hour. Tested again. Came up with same amount. Tried testing again, but same. Not having any distilled water, I just mixed half of the bleach and half of pool water and tested. Came out almost zero. Tested with 10ml of straight "bleach"... ZERO. Pink with the powder? No. Nothing! Be warned! Lucky I had some cal hypo tabs and my calcium is low enough. I bought bleach a week ago from them with good results. Now their bleach is nothing more than water and NaH. Sure raised my pH. They may have ran out and found some in the back that's old as me.

It can give a false zero, but the FC has to be much higher than anything we recommend before that happens. I've purposefully mixed a solution of over 100ppm FC and it read it accurately. It's really not a concern unless you've added an extreme amount of FC.

I do agree with Steve about double checking any zero reading with the OTO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.