Measure existing pool slope?

Feb 26, 2015
Austin
So my gunite is in, but it's pretty obvious the shallow end slope is wrong. From the pic in the layout, there's an 8' shallow section where the slope doesn't look to be more than 10 degrees. Standing on the gunite, it's obvious that the slope is massive, easily 45-50 degrees, or more. I've texted the foreman about my concern, but from the tone of his response, I think this might become an issue. The layout drawing doesn't list a slope degree, but it's obvious to any person standing in the pool that the slope is extremely slanted. I'm supposed to have a meeting with the PB to review this, but I'm not sure how to "prove" the slope is wrong.

This is the layout:

It's hard to tell what the slope is in the pic, but it's pretty steep:

IMG_20150604_201000.jpg

Any quick/easy way to measure? I'm betting that my designer, when she created the design with Pool Studio, has a slope listed somewhere...I just don't have it.

Did this slope exist after the pool was dug and laid with rebar. I would assume so. Your PB will likely argue that you accepted it by not complaining at that point. Your response could b that you were unaware that the eventual slope would correspond exactly to the slope of the dig. I don't think that's a particularly strong argument though

That does look steep. You can measure the angle by going straight down (perpendicular to the top edge). Ours is similar. I almost wish we'd made it one depth across. To get from shallow to deepest point they have to slant it. How shallow is your shallowest end?
You can look at ours in New pool , Manor, Texas if you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Min allowed would be 21' from deep end wall to the 5 ft depth mark. Leaving you 15' to transition from 5' to 3.5'.

Take a look at page 4 here: http://www.srsmith.com/media/47241/06-052ansi-standard.pdf

I would definately be upset about the slope. I'd ask for them to correct it. They can correct it to a degree.

We break ground today. I just provided my PB with exactly what I wanted before they start digging to avoid any issues. here is what I gave my PB yesterday.
0CE031B7-F676-4835-B726-A44C5B665EA3_zpsvcztp0dy.jpg

Regardless of slope degree it doesn't look from the pic that he gave you the roughly 7' of shallow end.If he did , it would of been even steeper. Just measure off the end wall the corresponding measurement at the bottom of your specs. Then measure down the corresponding depth measurement . It won't be exact because of of plaster and coping thickness but it should be close

Based on what I provided above. Here are the depths at measurement from the deep end wall I'd request.

2.5' from wall, depth should be 7'8"
10.5' from wall, depth should be 8'6"
21' from wall, depth should be 5'

Flight taking off so don't have time to check distance on the rest.

The best way to measure it is to lay something straight across the pool at the shallow break and the deep break and measure from there to the bottom in both places and subtract them and then measure the distance between them. That will work out to something like a "4' rise over a 10' run". We can figure an angle from that.

On the plan, the mean slope from 7' deep to 4' deep is 22º, but taking in the swales and curves it's probably closer to 30º in the middle of the slope. That's a pretty steep slope.

The slope from 8'6" to 7' is only 2º

When you first posted your pics after it was shoot I thought it looked steep but was hoping it was just the angle of the camera.

To me it looks more like a slide to get to the deep end instead of a useable shallow end.

Let us know what your PB says.

Kim

So I haven't talked to the PB yet, but I realize now it's just an easy math problem, if I knew any trig. The shallow end has a 6" drop over a length of 94" (depth and length are marked in the pool depth pic). I asked on another board what the degree is for a 6" drop over a length of 94" and was told 8.9 degrees, but I'm not sure how to check it. Anyway, if someone here knows trig, I'd appreciate the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you speak to PB? What did they say?

Not yet. He texted yesterday and said he was coming by today. Never saw him. I measured that stuff tonight and sent the info to him, in case he thought I was going to forget about it. If I don't hear from him tomorrow I'm calling Texas Pool and Patios to speak to the owner or manager. Danielle, the girl that was I guess my "sales rep", doesn't really want anything to do with this and has told me to "call Kevin" (the foreman) when I email her my concerns/questions. Too bad. I'm going to keep cc'ing her on emails so there is some kind of paper trail of my issues.

I would make them fix that for sure but you should be aware that based on your schematic unless one of the depths is off you will have a steeper slope in a shorter distance when they make your shallow end flatter.

I would make them fix that for sure but you should be aware that based on your schematic unless one of the depths is off you will have a steeper slope in a shorter distance when they make your shallow end flatter.
You say that like that I'm unaware of what the design is supposed to be. The design and slope were clearly laid out from day one, it's in the first "Pool Depth" pic I posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.