Water temp question

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

I have a very old heater that has a 3rd party digital thermostat built into it to control the temps better for the attached spa. Sort of like an aftermarket thermostat :)

The probe for the thermostat is in a return side pipe right before the water flows into the heater.
Its after the water flows through the basket, multiport, and is filtered.

This works very well, but the temp of this device is consistently showing about 1.5-2 degrees cooler than the pool thermometer is saying.

My question is... If I move this probe closer to the suction valve. Maybe before the water even goes through the pump basket. Can I possibly get a more accurate result? In other words, is it possible the water is cooling down a bit during the filtration process? Thanks a million!!

What makes you think the pool thermometer is correct? We had the same issue when I installed our Solartouch, it read a couple of degrees lower than our $5 pool thermometer drove my wife crazy which drove me crazy. I threw away the pool thermometer and life has been good ever since. :)

I think you are correct. I have 2 of those cheapo thermometers. Turns out one of them is exactly the same temp as the probe thermostat and the other is about 3 degrees off.

Then when I heat the spa, the accurate one shows about 4 degrees hotter than the probe thermostat. So Im thinking these things are basically just garbage. Ill trust the thermostat and look for a better thermometer.

quote-a-man-with-one-watch-knows-what-time-it-is-a-man-with-two-watches-is-never-quite-sure-lee-segall-298692.jpg

Or thermometers....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.