What causes burning/stinging eyes

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
It seems like all of the pools that I've been in are different regarding the burning/stinging of eyes. What causes this? Is it just a result of proper chlorination/pH, too much chlorine of too low pH? Even though I check FC/CC every day and pH every day or so, knowing how the water should feel helps verify testing.

Thanks...I did search, but I kept seeing salt mentioned and I assumed it was SWG people. Am I reading the link correctly that any pool, not just SWG, could benefit from adding salt?
It was quite the fashion here a year or two ago to add salt for feel. I never jumped on that band wagon nor added borates simply because I'm constantly draining to reduce CH buildup.

The paper in the link that Richard gave to a post I wrote describes how chloramines can also irritate the eyes. Nevertheless, even with no chloramines, if you just keep your eyes under water even with no chlorine or chloramines, they will sting unless the water is salty. Basically there's more salt in your eyes than in the water so water flows into your eyes creating pressure that makes your eyes bloodshot and sting.

My first thought was chlorine was too high, but I'm reading it can be the chloramines like mentioned. My wife just noticed it stung a bit, so I'm hoping it's the lack of salt -I didn't know chlorine added salt, so that should help. I do a daily FAS/DPD test showing less than .5 ppm CC, so hopefully I can rule out the chloramides. Thanks for the help!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.