No Chlorine in my pool

Jun 10, 2015
Staten Island, NY
I can't seem to keep chlorine in my pool. The water has the slight cloudy look. Here are my detail. Please help. Thanks

14' x 24' inground vinyl pool
Approx 10,000 gallons
Jandy Cartridge filter
Aquarite T9 salt chlorinator set to 40%
Colorq pro 7 test kit

FC 0.21
TC 0.44
PH 7.4
ALK 51
CH 115
CYA 60
pool store tested phosphates as good.

Shocked already 3 times in 2 weeks with about 2 bags each time.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

The reason you are having difficulty keeping chlorine in the pool is that there is something organic in the pool that is consuming it. The cloudy look is an indicator of that and it could be nascent algae that hasn't gone into full bloom yet.

Shocked already 3 times in 2 weeks with about 2 bags each time.
This is the typical "shock" treatment which is completely ineffective. We have a process called the SLAM Process that you will need to familiarize yourself with and perform in order to clear up your pool.

So, here's what I recommend: Start by getting yourself one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. One of the tests it contains is the all-important FAS-DPD test which you will need for the SLAM.

Second: While you are waiting for the kit, I would check out these short articles to give you an overview of managing a pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart - This concept is critical to understand as it governs the amount of chlorine you need according to your CYA levels.
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Finally, do not worry about phosphates. Chlorine and chlorine alone in the proper dose will kill and prevent algae no matter the level of phosphates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.