Anchor bolt rusted and busted

Jun 30, 2013
Greetings,

I have a little problem that I created by not WD40'ing the bolts and using a 10 foot pipe as a breaker bar. As you can see in the pictures, one of the bolts is now broken! I'm so good at creating 2 projects while attempting another...can I hear an AMEN!

Also you notice that there is a slight crack running through the two rear bolts.

Suggestions? Allow my following list to get your juices flowing...

Tear out and replace section with new bolts?
Use product XYZ and be done with it in 2.7 minutes (if there is such a product, please let me know)?
Replace board after painting using only two of three bolts and put a warning sign on the end of the board stating, "Dive at your own risk!"?
Cut bolts flush and replace with trampoline angled 45 degrees towards deep end?
Ignore it and wish away the problem?
Pray to the almight pool god Swimmeus and ask for an overnight miracle?

All jokes aside, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0506.jpg
    IMAG0506.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0507.jpg
    IMAG0507.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 68
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

IMO you have 2 options:
1. Cut the bolts off and throw the board away.
2. Cut a huge chunk of the concrete up, find the proper embedded anchor assembly and bolts, add rebar for the new concrete to be tied to the deck (remember to bond in your new rebar and board anchor), pour the new slab, install the board.

BTW, WD-40 would not have been the right tool for the job. You would have needed some type of penetrating oil and then used anti-sieze when you reinstalled it.

Hi jblizzle,

Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid that would be the best solution but thought I'd ask to see if there are other methods or solutions as good as a repour of concrete. Time to get the wheelbarrow out of retirement! Funny you mentioned bonding as I was just reading something on that yesterday. I had no idea of how much I didn't know about what I cannot see. At least the water is warm and perfect for a 100F day.

Thanks again!

I would have a lot of concern about using any wedge anchors on a diving board mount. This is one application where you can't depend on gravity to help. The use of the board is trying to rip the anchors out of place. I would either cut them off or make up a "diving platform" that would cover them for the rest of the season. Then decide if I need a diving board bad enough to tear up the concrete and do it right.

I was thinking move it a little and reinstall also. But, good point on how much load there is on the screws. Do you know a local pool service to call and have them take a look?

Update your location city/state or metro area and maybe someone can help.

Get a good welder to weld a new section of threads to the old....the old would need cleaned up and grind some away to make room for the weld, but a weld can be as strong as the original bolt....then again, if it's not done right, not so much....

The nuclear power industry uses various wedge type anchors for new equipment installations in existing concrete. They are designed to withstand the effects of a seismic event (earthquake). They are not designed for the instantaneous shock load that is seen on a diving board. The installation in a pool deck may be problematic and hinges on: the proper mixing and placement of the concrete, strength of concrete mix, the thickness of the deck, and the installation skill of the installer. In a pool deck, there is also the real danger of drilling into and severing the bonding system, electrical lines, and pipes. If they fail under the shock load of a diving board, it will be suddenly and without warning. The board will end up in the pool most likely hitting the diver. Please ask yourself, is it worth it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I vote welder or dig it up and redo. Concrete anchors are great, but I would not trust them with the impact load a diving board has. It would probably be as much work as redoing it all, but you could probably find an anchor like they use for electric pole guy wires. Drill a 2-3" hole, run the anchor in, then put concrete around it. You still have the risk of hitting something important under the deck that way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.