New plaster---how long to wait before swapping to liquid chlorine?

gilbee

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Harvey, LA
Plaster is now 6 days old, plaster company sent out someone to add chlorine shock (cal-hypo, even though my fill water CH is already 250), along with 7.5lbs of CYA (which should make 53ppm based on poomath), and of course muriatic acid. They also tossed two 3" trichlor tabs in a floater...I tossed another two tabs in a separate floater, figuring that will bring me up to a CYA reading of around 60 when it's all done...I know that's higher than recommended for liquid, but after 30-45 days I plan to change over to salt (already have the equipment, just didn't install because I knew the plaster job was coming).

So, my question is this: my FC is very low (.5-1.5), and my instinct is to add some liquid chlorine to raise it up to appropriate levels...however, I have read that you don't want to start tossing liquid in a new plaster pool because it raises the FC too fast. On one hand, I know there is chlorine being added by the pucks in the floater (which is also adding CYA slowly), but I wonder if it's enough to keep things under control as the levels slowly rise.

Should I add LC to raise the FC, or let the pucks float for now and exercise pool owner patience?

Hey, congrats on the new plaster! Definitely keep your chlorine level above the minimum for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. This is no time to get algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an article on new plaster.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster

Ok, so I added a gallon of 10% last night, and this morning I got these readings (hadn't taken any full readings yet since it was so new and the plaster people wanted to "balance" the water before handing it over...I didn't want to let them, but since I didn't want to affect the warranty, I let them go for it):

FC 4.5 (added half gallon of 10% after this reading)
CC 0
PH 7.8 (added half gallon of 31% MA after this reading)
TA 110-120
CH 250

I didn't test CYA, because it's only been a couple of days since they added it. They added 7.5lbs, and along with the 4 trichlor tabs in the floaters, I expect it to fall within 50-60ppm and am just using that figure for now. The TA is high, and I wondered what could cause that, so I tested my fill water, and found that the fill water has a TA of 110, so I think that's just a fact of life; same with the CH.

Any other suggestions I should be thinking about?

Well, Cya and FC are usually brought up more slowly on new plaster, but they are handling it, so don't let them blame you for the chemistry if any issues arise. I don't assume they will, just mentioning it. It doesn't look like they are choosing any sort of particular start up procedure, so I guess you can let it ride as is unless they suggest otherwise. Congrats, and we'd love to see the pics when you can...

Well, Cya and FC are usually brought up more slowly on new plaster, but they are handling it, so don't let them blame you for the chemistry if any issues arise. I don't assume they will, just mentioning it. It doesn't look like they are choosing any sort of particular start up procedure, so I guess you can let it ride as is unless they suggest otherwise. Congrats, and we'd love to see the pics when you can...

Well, by "handling it" they provide one visit to do what they did...no further checks or work from them are part of the deal. Not sure how I could assert that there are chemistry issues and stand on level ground with them, they'll just assert they've been doing this forever and never had a problem before. But things look good (mostly, and the things that don't can't be fixed at this point)

What is the downside to raising the levels fast like they did? I'm sure they did this so they could do it in one visit and not have to come again, but I'm curious.

f420a7078e7c724ad1f5929d5c84a11b.jpg

f405eba871315618be1aee9896978674.jpg

f42e337af4a3df61afc40f7049e536db.jpg

Just an update, things are looking good, keeping things in the correct range isn't hard if you stay on top of it; I removed the trichlor tabs on Friday, they were about half used maybe...been adding acid to keep the pH in check, and as expected, that is lowering the TA closer to correct levels:

FC 7.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 90
CYA 40-50

I had been shooting for the target levels closer to 50-60 relative CYA, but after todays CYA test, I think I'm good to roll with a FC in the 4-6 range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.