Opening Day at the Swamp!

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
Well, after what I considered a successful winter closing, the pool water stayed clear until a few weeks ago, when the storms and flooding came through. I hadn't opened the pool yet, because I was still taking a class. Anyway, a foot or more of swamp on top of my cover dumped into the pool when the cover fell in. Now the pool is a radioactive green. I've been running a sump pump all day, but now I need to know the next steps. The inside is going to need a thorough cleaning, but I don't know what with. Pump it dry? Leave a few inches and go from there? I haven't even hooked up the pump and filter yet (got a Hayward skimmer waiting in the wings too). Next steps?

It's generally never a good idea to completely drain a pool unless replacing the liner. That is unfortunate what happened, but you can fix it. You have the right test kit, so that's a good start. I suspect while it's low you should try to get as much debris and muck out as you can until it's mostly just water. Then fill-up to the skimmer and calculate getting some stabilizer in there right away - shoot for 30 right now. Then use the poolmath calculator to keep FC at 2ppm for now until that CYA gets up to 30.

Also adjust PH to 7.2 in preparation for a SLAM. Once your CYA hits 30, and PH 7.2 SLAM it hard and don't stop until you pass ALL 3 requirements of a SLAM. Read the link below if you haven't done it before. At that time, the pump stays on 24/7 while you continue to keep the FC at the SLAM level and brush dialer.

Others may chime-in as well with some advice. We'll follow-up and help as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Stock-up on regular liquid bleach and be familiar with the SLAM and Chlorine/CYA links below. You will use them a lot the next few days.

Okay. I've slammed before (last year, but it wasn't this bad), so I'm familiar with the process.

One other question: see above the blue squares on the gray part of the liner that holds the frame? The black mildewy looking stuff - I'm guessing I can get that off with a mild bleach solution and scrub brush?

Just go ahead and fill it up the rest of the way and SLAM it. Run the pump 24x7. The same thing happened to me (cover collapsed into the pool). I went from this to this over a weekend:

temporary_zpskbrtbrrm.jpg

temporary_zps485xtuih.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.