Spots on surface of pool

Jun 26, 2013
Texas City, TX
Alkalinity, ph and diamond brite plaster.
Leslie's 4/19/15: CH=250 CYA= 50 TDS: 2000 Pho: 2500

Tues 6/9 home results: Clear
FC=2.5
CC=0
pH=8.0+
TA=75

On 6/5 my home results: pH=7.5 TA= 70

Years ago CYA was over 150. My gift from Leslie's was black algae, which I still need to get in the pool with puck and confirm. Many small, black spots, mostly in deep end and borders of small tiles on steps.
Difficult to eradicate in a diamond brite which we REGRET! This algae is not my issue to discuss today, but the fact that the pH bounces with bleach. I need my chlor more effective than at that pH. Now that pool running 24hr, I generally pour 4 pts HEB 8.25% at midnite. In fact, all that has been added from 6/5 to 6/9 was the daily midnite 4 pts bleach. I'm still buying a lot of acid. And my other half is upset that the low TA is damaging the diamond brite (lit says 90 or higher). The TA test result of Leslie's Taylor kit-pink-red??? Don't like that test.

We don't have a pool cleaner. What does it matter if there is debris on the pool bottom or in my DE filter after vac? Either place my chlor must kill, right? Can only vac to waste after heavy rains like earlier this month in TX which I did.

I feel like the pool is controlling me, instead of the other way around. Other home owner giving me flack about chasing my tail all the time. And it's all new equipment-makes me nervous.

Also, the fact that there are a lot of little black spots means I have to brush with a large brush often. What bristles should I be using for a diamond brite plaster that is ~10 yrs old already if I do have the black algae? And where can I buy a brush whose bristles don't shed like a dog and clog my DE? There is lots more but I'm not at home with the info. Thanks. Paula

Hi Quincy, Welcome to TFP!

A few things here. First don't hate your finish as it isn't the root of your Black or other Alage issues. You've gotten it simply because you have been off balance/under chlorinated too much, too often. We can help you get the pool under YOUR control with just a little effort. You'll need a proper kit and some knowledge. All the help you need will be here when you need it. As for your brush, you need a stainless bristle type for the Black Algae if that's what you have. Your current model is a cheaper one that has had too much sun and many will do this. For regular brushing, I suggest replacing it with a good model, but we can suggest that a bit later. As for your TA being a problem, it alone isn't the issue when it comes to hurting plaster, as other factors play a huge and critical role. It's about other balances as well. What kit are you testing with right now? Let us know and we can go from there.

We bought the Leslie's Taylor Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit. I don't like the large range of the chlorine either.
Hi Quincy, Welcome to TFP!

A few things here. First don't hate your finish as it isn't the root of your Black or other Alage issues. You've gotten it simply because you have been off balance/under chlorinated too much, too often. We can help you get the pool under YOUR control with just a little effort. You'll need a proper kit and some knowledge. All the help you need will be here when you need it. As for your brush, you need a stainless bristle type for the Black Algae if that's what you have. Your current model is a cheaper one that has had too much sun and many will do this. For regular brushing, I suggest replacing it with a good model, but we can suggest that a bit later. As for your TA being a problem, it alone isn't the issue when it comes to hurting plaster, as other factors play a huge and critical role. It's about other balances as well. What kit are you testing with right now? Let us know and we can go from there.

Last edited:
My test results yesterday at 5pm:
FC=.5
CC=0
TA=70
ph=7.9
CH=320?
CYA=0 ?

First time I tested CH and CYA. Black dot never disappeared. Can cya drop that much from 50 in late April? That would explainoloss of FC lately! Pool is clear, with black spots of course. Added 2 lbs bake soda last night. I do have pucks, but I think I'd like to double check cya with pool store

Sorry, having a hard time using this forum editing/posting. I also added 4 pts bleach at midnite. Plan is to put puck in chlorine bucket today to add to my cya. I hope this editing gets easier! So what about my consistent rising ph and low TA? i'm still not convinced this is hurting my plaster. Thanks
My test results yesterday at 5pm:
FC=.5
CC=0
TA=70
ph=7.9
CH=320?
CYA=0 ?

First time I tested CH and CYA. Black dot never disappeared. Can cya drop that much from 50 in late April? That would explainoloss of FC lately! Pool is clear, with black spots of course. Added 2 lbs bake soda last night. I do have pucks, but I think I'd like to double check cya with pool store[/QUOTE

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.