Leaking Pipe, Bubbles Coming Out Of Returns

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
We have a PVC pipe joint that is leaking, and are seeing air bubbles coming out of the returns (some more than others). My husband tried applying a PVC sealant last night, but it hasn't solved the problem. I've attached a photo of the leak. You can barely see a drip of water hanging down from the pipe joint that has the problem (there's a cardboard box there to catch the drips because a puddle had been building up on the pavement and was turning green).

My husband figures he'll have to cut into the pipe, but we're trying to figure out how to go about it, since we've never done this before. Any suggestions?

It appears the leak at at the top elbow coming out of your backwash valve.

That big knurled thing a few inches away is a union. The outer nut unscrews. So that end is easy. What isn't visible is if the elbow that leaks is connected to the backwash valve by a threaded fitting or a glued fitting. If it's glued, you've got a real mess on your hands. And in that case, I'd drain the filter and shut everything off and let the pipe dry and see if a thick coating of epoxy wouldn't dry up the leak. It's only a few bucks wasted if it doesn't work. If things are glued together, it could get really really ugly and might even require a new backwash valve.

If that joint is on the discharge side of your pump it is not the cause of bubbles in your returns. Air can only be pulled into your system on the suction side of the pump. If this is the case first thing to check is the gasket under the lid of your pump strainer basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.