Recommendation for a small AGP

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I am looking for a recommendation for a cartridge filter and pump for a small above ground pool.

What is the ideal HP. Is using a .5 HP pump ok? And what about the sq footage for a the cartridge filter?

Would you guys recommend using this as my timer? It seems fine but my concern is that it will short or get damaged when it rains. I have one of those bubble GFCI outlet boxes but the pump plugs into this and I'm worried about the rain.

Amazon.com : 24 Hour Above Ground Pool Pump Timer : Swimming Pool Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks!

Yes, .5 hp is large enough for a 15" pool. But I'll echo pooldv and suggest that you get a sand filter/pump combo instead. It's much less hassle in the long run. This one would be perfect for your pool: Walmart: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump

It has a timer built in, so you won't need a separate timer. Some of the larger Intex cartridge filters have timers too, if you decide you really do want a cartridge system. So wait on the timer until you decide on a pump.

A saltwater generator is another item you might consider, but resist the urge to get the pump/filter/SWG combo. One part will always fail first, and you'll be left needing to replace the entire unit. Get a stand-alone SWG instead. You can always wait to add that later if you wish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.