Pump run time

Jun 7, 2015
Wamego/KS
Currently I am running my pump 10 hours a day. Hoping to reduce that run time after I get my water balanced and where it needs to be. My question...is it better to run that 10 hours consecutively or are there any advanatages to breaking it up and running it 5 hours in the morning and another 5 hours in the evening?

you don't need to run your pump that long. I run mine for 5 hours a day with no issues at all. as long as your pump is running long enough for your pool to be clean and properly chlorinated, that's all that's needed.

if you had a two speed pump and were running on low you would run it longer, but for a single speed pump I see no reason 5 hours isn't enough. if you have a SWCG and cant get enough chlorine generated, might need to extend. if you are manual dosing with bleach, take your run time down...go for 6 and then start decreasing.

You may receive varied inputs on this one based on:
- When you do your chemicals
- Swimmers load and swim time
- Angle of the sun on your pool (sun exposure)
- Those with VS or 2-speeds can afford to change it up a bit more perhaps

Looking forward to the replies. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a recent thread: Pump Run Time?

I typically add chemicals in the evening after the kids are out for the day. We have direct sun on the pool from sun up until around 5:00. I was running it continually for the 10 hours (8am-6pm), but was then having to manually turn it on for another hour or so on the evenings that I added bleach. We usually have a very high swim load in the afternoons with neighborhood kids! I am still in the process of getting my FC to the correct level. Once that is complete then I can start decreasing the time the pump is running? I assume if I add chemicals in the evening that is when I should run the pump? Or should it be running while there are swimmers?

run the pump for at least 30 minutes after adding chemicals.

you can run the pumps while kids are swimming...does your pool have a double drain on the bottom? if not, may want to consider running it on skimmer mode only. kids have been killed by the old school single drains while swimming.

if you add checmicals at night, say 6:00pm, I would set your pump to end at 6:30pm and the back track when to start it. just takes some experimenting. keep reducing it until you notice its not cleaning perfectly, then add some more run time

Typically you will find users leave their pump running for about 30-60 minutes after adding chemicals. It should also be bumped-up during swimming. I suspect the rest will depend on your learning curve, past experience, and what seems to work well for you and your location/climate. As noted on other threads, some people are just fine leaving theirs running quite long time, if not 24/7! But many, many others have theirs on timers that go anywhere from 3-8 hours a day. An important thing I learned from this subject is that clean water is clean water whether it's moving or with the pump off. Conversely, algae is there whether it's running or off. The movement of water primarily helps to circulate debris and mix chemicals. You can experiment a little once you are sure your levels have stabilized. At least that's my 2-cents worth. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.