Cleaning the SWG cell

May 30, 2015
TX
I've been shaping up a new pool (new home) and noticed my FC level won't rise above 2 ppm despite putting SWG at 100% and increasing pump run time by 2 hours (to 8 hours now - 6 hr req for 1 turnover of pool). Water is crystal clear.

I'm currently thinking my salt cell needs to be cleaned as I would expect much better FC generation.

Any other ideas before I pull apart the salt cell??

Chemical levels: FC 2, CC 0.2, pH 7.6, TA 160, CH 200, NaCL 3250, TDS 4000, CYA 90, temp 80F. Tested using Taylor k2006 and elec salt tester.

Pool info: 22k gallons, plaster/pebble, DE filter, Aquapure 1400

Welcome to TFP!

You are asking a popular question this year, this is at least the 10th thread with this theme this spring. :) Every other time it has been an algae bloom using up the chlorine faster than the SWG can produce it.

Is the filter also clogging up much faster with dead algae?
Is the water cloudy?

You can use bleach/liquid chlorine to raise your chlorine level up to 10ppm, turn off the SWG and Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if you have algae growing in your pool and consuming your chlorine.

Here is how to update your location with city(area)/state and your pool info in your signature.
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.