Pump not pulling water question

May 19, 2014
pennsylvania
Luckily my pool has been flawless since I joined up here last year, this thread is concerning my sisters pool. They don't keep up with things and it becomes my job to fix it.

The short, pump only draws about half the amount of water it should, and overtime starts to run dry and loses prime.

I'll have to give equipment specifics later, but essentially it's a 23,000 gallon inground with associated Hayward pump and de filter. Very simple old school plumbing with only one line coming out of ground from 2 skimmers and a main drain. No valves above ground. Comes out filter one line back into ground to 2 return jets.

I'm guessing suction side leak. I hooked up a temporary line to pump into pool to bypass any underground stuff and it still is having the problem. Basically it's got to be at the pump and everything there looks good. Pump sounds fine running. How can I tell if maybe I just need a new pump or what is causing it to not pull water. Only fills the pump under the lid maybe halfway then will stop pulling all together.

Have you checked the o-ring on the pump strainer basket? It almost certainly is a suction side leak and that is the most common location for them.

Also check that the drain valve(s) are snug at the bottom of the strainer basket.

Could be as simple as the impeller is clogged up with pine needles or something, They slip right through the strainer basket.

For air leaks, coat anything that could allow air to enter with shaving cream and see if the foam gets drawn in. You might see foam in the strainer or returning to the pool or actually see the foam being sucked in somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.