Pump motor current draw

Brusky

Jun 10, 2015
Houston, Tx
Looking to build new 25,000 gallon pool. i have interviewed several pool builders that are recommending Variable speed pumps. they want to run the 2 hp motor at half speed to save energy during normal circulation, and speed up to turn on water fall, etc.. My thought is to use a 1 hp pump for circulation and a 2 hp or a second 1 hp pump in parallel, as the 1 hp motor will draw less amps than the 2 hp motor running at half speed? Can anyone confirm?

Welcome to TFP!

I am very happy with my 3hp VS pump. I can adjust flow rate to anything I want to dial in the right amount of water flow for skimming, waterfall, solar, etc. It is quite a bit more pump than I need but it is cheap to run and infinitely adjustable.

1100 rpm for skimming and running the SWG (saltwater chlorine generator) draws 150 watts
1950 rpm to run my solar panels when heat is available draws 550 watts
2500 rpm for bottom drain suction when I brush my pool, don't remember how many watts
@1500 rpm to run the waterfall, skimmers and SWG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.